X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weblogic 9, Distributed Destinations, and Spring JMS/MDPs

I'm wondering if anyone else has ever tried setting up a Spring MDP to consume messages from a distributed destination in WebLogic 9...

I started out with Andy Piper's Dev2Dev blog entry on Spring 2.0 and Message Driven POJOs. The problem was that the blog entry only addressed a simple, single server situation. Fine for development, but not so ideal for mission-critical production.

I did some asking around within our IS department to see what might need to change if I wanted consume from a distributed destination. I had my listener container setup to use the JNDI destination name resolver, and my destination name was set to the JNDI name of the distributed destination.

That is, until our middleware admin reported back that that setup might be problematic for message consumers. According to BEA's documentation (Using Distributed Destinations and Configuring Advanced JMS System Resources), using a distributed destination for the consumer results in the consumer being pinned to only one node and not consuming any messages from the nodes in the cluster.

If I wanted to consume from both sides of the cluster (ours is just a two-node cluster), I'd have to configure two different listener containers, each exlicitly pointing to the destination it wanted:

Code:
    <bean id="listenerContainerA" class="org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer">
        <property name="messageListener" ref="myListener"/>
        <property name="destinationName" value="MyJMSServerA@MyQueue"/>
    </bean>
    <bean id="listenerContainerB" class="org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer">
        <property name="messageListener" ref="myListener"/>
        <property name="destinationName" value="MyJMSServerB@MyQueue"/>
    </bean>
    All of that is theory and educated guesses based on documentation; we don't have any real-world experience. In my particular case, I reverted back to MDBs due to project deadlines that needed to be met. With that said, I'd be curious to hear the Spring community's thoughts on this setup. What would be needed to get MDPs working with distributed destinations in WebLogic 9?
    Last edited by kadams54; Oct 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM. Reason: Added second

Hi! We encountered some problems with migratable destinations on wls 9. It turned out that jms connectionfactory/queues were not available for second node during server startup.
    There was some discussion about it on bea site (http://forums.bea.com/bea/message.js...42571&tstart=0)

Comment

Any luck using MDPs

Hi
      Did you ever got back to use MDP's with distributed destinations. We are planning to just get started on using distributed destinations & MDPs

Comment

Dev2Dev?

The entry in the original article is gone (along with the Dev2Dev site) anyone have a durable reference?

Comment

Working...
        X