Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JmsTemplate.receive()- Connection hangs after program runs

Hi all,

I am using the receive() method on the JmsTemplate. The program runs at a set interval and counts the number of messages currently on the queue and pulls them off one at a time. I am using CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE mode so I have to wrap the JmsTemplate code in a transaction to prevent the template from closing the session before I can acknowledge the message. So... when the program completes, a JMS Connection is left hanging open.

How to I force the JmsTemplate to close the connection? This is causing the java.exe to keep running and not complete. I am using Spring 3.1.0

Code:
     //This transaction is needed to prevent the JmsTempate from closing the session after the receive method is called.
            TransactionStatus status = txManager.getTransaction(new DefaultTransactionDefinition());

//Get the number of messages on the queue and process them.
            int messageCount = JmsUtil.countMessagesOnQueue(jmsTemplate, subscribeQueue);
            LOG.info("Found " + messageCount + " messages(s) on the queue.");
             for (int i = 0; i < messageCount; i++) {

Message message = jmsTemplate.receive(subscribeQueue);
                //..more code here
             }

message.acknowledge();
             txManager.commit(status);
    HTML Code:
    <bean name="jmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate"
              p:connectionFactory-ref="cacheJmsConnectionFactory"
              p:sessionAcknowledgeMode="2" <!-- CLIENT_ACKNOWLEDGE -->
              p:defaultDestination-ref="publishQueue"
              p:pubSubDomain="false"
              p:receiveTimeout="-1"/> <!-- Don't wait if a message isn't there -->
    </beans>
    Thanks!
    Nathan

You may want to consider using JmsTemplate.execute(SessionCallback callback) instead. That manages the Session for you (including transactions) while still allowing you to use that Session to create a Consumer and then explicitly acknowledge all within the scope of the callback method you implement (after which the template will commit the TX and close the connection).

Comment

Hi Mark,

Here's what I did. Wasn't sure if I needed to close the consumer and the session, but I tried with just closing the consumer, and closing both the consumer and the session, and the connection is still hanging. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I took the transaction code out. I figured I didn't need that anymore.

Here's the new code.
      Code:
       jmsTemplate.execute(new SessionCallback() {
                  public Object doInJms(Session session) throws JMSException {

//Get the number of messages on the queue and process them.
                      int messageCount = JmsUtil.countMessagesOnQueue(jmsTemplate, subscribeQueue);
                      LOG.info("Found " + messageCount + " messages(s) on the queue.");
                      MessageConsumer consumer = session.createConsumer(subscribeQueue);

for (int i = 0; i < messageCount; i++) {

Message message = consumer.receiveNoWait();
                          //... bunch of processing code ....
                          message.acknowledge();
                          consumer.close();                   
                          session.close();
                      return null;
                  }
              }, true);

Comment

Working...
      X