Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActiveMQ, XA tranasctions, database

Hello,

Has anyone successfully managed to configure a JEE-free Spring application that makes use of ActiveMQ XA tranasctions? ie the use cases are:

1. When a message is read and a database exception thrown when writing to the database, the message is rolled back onto the queue.
    2. If ActiveMQ fails whilst the message is being processed, even if a database insert statement has been issued, the database transaction is rolled back because the message can not be confirmed as processed?

I've got a Spring application working with (1) but I can't meet (2). I didn't need XA for (1) and I'm assuming XA is required for (2). Maybe I'm wrong.

The ActiveMQXAConnectionFactory does not seem well documented in terms of examples, etc. Here's a subset of what I've got to meet (1):

Code:
    	<bean id="connectionFactory" class="org.springframework.jms.connection.TransactionAwareConnectionFactoryProxy">
    		<property name="synchedLocalTransactionAllowed" value="true" />
    		<property name="targetConnectionFactory"><bean class="org.apache.activemq.pool.PooledConnectionFactory"
    			destroy-method="stop">			
    			<property name="connectionFactory">
    				<bean class="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory">
    					<property name="dispatchAsync" value="false" />
    					<property name="brokerURL" value="${jms.brokerurl}" />
    					<property name="userName" value="${jms.user}" />
    					<property name="password" value="${jms.password}" />						  
    					<property name="redeliveryPolicy" ref="jms.redeliveryPolicy" />	
    				</bean>
    			</property>
    		</bean></property>
    	</bean>	

<bean id="jms.transactionManager"
    			class="org.springframework.jms.connection.JmsTransactionManager">
    		<property name="connectionFactory" ref="connectionFactory" />
    	</bean>
    However when I introduced the ActiveMQXAConnectionFactory, I need to use the XaPooledConnectionFactory however this requires a reference to the transaction manager - and this can not be created until the connection factory has been created.

Does anyone have any inspiration to share?

Thanks

John

Stepping through with a debugger, the problem appears to be that the database transaction is committed before the JMS session is committed (and message removed). So the question is, how do I tie up the DB transaction with the session commit?

Comment

XA is expensive; with careful coding (such as handling duplicate messages as would happen with your second scenario), you can avoid the overhead of using XA.

See http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...nsactions.html for a complete discussion of the options.

If you have no choice but to use XA, and you are running outside of a JEE container, you need to use an XA-capable transaction manager such as Atomikos or jotm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Russell View Post
        If you have no choice but to use XA, and you are running outside of a JEE container, you need to use an XA-capable transaction manager such as Atomikos or jotm.
        Thanks. I was just reading upon Atomikos.

Comment

Originally posted by jbakerc View Post
          Thanks. I was just reading upon Atomikos.
          Does anyone know of a good guide covering linking JMS and JPA within Atomikos, that would cover something like this in Spring:

Code:
          <bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.PersistenceAnnotationBeanPostProcessor"/>

<bean id="remoteDataSource" class="com.mchange.v2.c3p0.ComboPooledDataSource"
          	  destroy-method="close">
          </bean>

<bean id="remoteJPAAdapter" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter" 
          	  p:database="..." 
          	  p:showSql="..."/>

<bean id="remotePersistenceUnitManager" class="org.springframework.data.jpa.support.MergingPersistenceUnitManager">
          	<property name="persistenceXmlLocations">
          		<list>
          			<value>classpath*:META-INF/*/persistence.xml</value>
          		</list>
          	</property>
          	<property name="dataSources">
          		<map>
          			<!-- keyed from persistence.xml -->
          			<entry key="remoteDS" value-ref="remoteDataSource"/>
          		</map>
          	</property>
          	<!-- if no datasource is specified, use this one -->
          	<property name="defaultDataSource" ref="remoteDataSource"/>
          </bean>

<bean id="remoteEntityManagerFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean" 
          	p:jpaVendorAdapter-ref="remoteJPAAdapter">
          	<property name="persistenceUnitManager" ref="remotePersistenceUnitManager"/>
          </bean>

<bean id="remoteTransactionManager" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.JpaTransactionManager">
          	<property name="entityManagerFactory" ref="remoteEntityManagerFactory" />
          </bean>
          I've tried and it runs but Hibernate is pushing a row into the database when the persist method on the entity manager is called, as if XA wasn't in use at all - at least it used to do this after the @Transactional annotated method completed.

Comment

Take a look a Josh Long's blog post, referenced in this thread.... http://forum.springsource.org/showth...s-using-Spring

He uses JavaConfig rather than XML, but it's effectively the same.

Also, be sure to use XA-aware drivers for the resources.

Comment

Working...
            X