X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMLC vs SMLC in case of lots of queues/listeners

DefaultMessageListenerContainer = polling mechanism = one polling receive() thread per configured listener.
    SimpleMessageListenerContainer => push mechanism = only a thread in case messages arrive.

Let's say I have a production environment with 10 queues.
    Let's say a message is to be consumed once-and-only-once.

I could configure 1 DMLC with 10 listeners (one per queue).
    But that would mean that 10 threads are always in use, even when no message are to be processed.
    Is that a correct conclusion ?
    If so, doesn't that imply that using DMLC is very inefficient due to the fact so many threads are doing nothing ?

Wouldn't a SMLC approach be better in that respect ?
    But then will SMLC work with JTA transaction manager and XA transactions ?
    If not, what are my options if I want to use threads efficiently and at the same time I want to use JTA txn manager and XA ?

It sounds like you should explore the "concurrent-consumers" option on DMLC. You can specify a range such as "5-25". In that case, the "core" thread pool contains 5 but the pool can grow up to 25 when needed. Based on the idle execution limit, the pool can shrink back down to the core size after activity decreases.

Comment

But if I have e.g. 10 different queues, then I need 10 listeners isn't it ?
      Doesn't that mean then that I will have at least one DMLC listener-container with concurrency 1, having 10 listener elements (one for each of the 10 queues) ? Doesn't that imply then I'll have at a minimum 10 threads constantly polling ?
      Or am I missing something ?

Comment

Yes; you need one thread per queue. The concurrency controls allow you to increase the threads per queue on an as-needed basis.

The SMLC does not support JTA/XA.

Comment

Working...
        X