X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronous jmsTemplate with topics

I am trying to get messages from a topic - using JMSTemplate.receive - no messages come back even though I see them by going to the activeMQ admin console? How would I do it if jmsTemplate is not working?

I just ran a test and it worked fine for me.

Are you using a timeout? Is the receive() active when you publish? Messages in topics are only received by active consumers by default. Consider using a message listener container and a durable subscription (or use a queue).

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Russell View Post
      I just ran a test and it worked fine for me.

Are you using a timeout? Is the receive() active when you publish? Messages in topics are only received by active consumers by default. Consider using a message listener container and a durable subscription (or use a queue).
      using the MessageListener is not ideal fro my environment bec. I only want to get the messages when the user requests it - otherwise I don't need it - so that's wh I need it working synchronously.
      Do Topics work Synchronously in the Spring environment?

Here is how I instantiate the jmsTemplate, sender & receiver in the applicationcontext.xml
      <bean id="activeMQConnectionFactory" class="org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFacto ry">
      <property name="brokerURL" value="tcp://localhost:61616" />
      </bean>

<bean id="testTopic" class="org.apache.activemq.command.ActiveMQTopic">
      <constructor-arg value="testNotifications" />
      </bean>

<bean id="jmsSender" class="com.myJmsSender">
      <property name="jmsTemplate">
      <ref bean="jmsTemplate" />
      </property>
      </bean>
      <bean id="jmsReceiver" class="com.myJmsReceiver">
      <property name="jmsTemplate">
      <ref bean="jmsTemplate" />
      </property>
      </bean>

<bean id="jmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate" >
      <property name="connectionFactory">
      <ref bean="activeMQConnectionFactory" />
      </property>
      <property name="defaultDestination" ref="testTopic"></property>

</bean>

Comment

Do Topics work Synchronously in the Spring environment?
        Yes, like I said, I just tested it and it worked fine for me. I had a jmsTemplate (similar configuration to yours) with a thread blocked in its receive() method, published a message to the topic and the template.receive() returned the message.

You can't publish the message and then call receive(); that's not how JMS topics work (regardless of Spring).

Comment

Heres my jmsReceiver class, do I have to run it in a separate thread when I call JMSMessageReceiver .getMessages
          public class JMSMessageReceiver {

protected final Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(JMSMessagePublisher.class);

private JmsTemplate jmsTemplate;

public JmsTemplate getjmsTemplate() {
          return jmsTemplate;
          }

public void setjmsTemplate(JmsTemplate jmsTemplate) {
          this.jmsTemplate = jmsTemplate;
          }

public List<String> getMessages() {
          List<String> messages = new ArrayList<String>();
          Message msg = null;
          while((msg = jmsTemplate.receive()) != null){
          try {
          TextMessage textMessage = (TextMessage) msg;
          if (msg != null) {
          messages.add(textMessage.getText());
          }
          } catch (Exception e) {
          e.printStackTrace();
          }
          }

return messages;
          }

Comment

Please use [ code ] ... [ / code] tags (no spaces inside the brackets) when posting code and config.

Are you saying you get zero messages? I would expect you to get one, but there is definitely a window to lose messages this way (the consumer only lives during the receive() and, like I said, if you're not consuming during the publish you will lose messages.

For this application, you should probably drop down to some of the lower-level JmsTemplate APIs, such as...

Code:
            jmsTemplate.execute(new SessionCallback<Object>() {
            	public Object doInJms(Session session) throws JMSException {
            		MessageConsumer consumer = session.createConsumer(destination);
            		while (true) {
            			Message message = consumer.receive();
            			System.out.println(message);
            		}
            	}
            });

Comment

Please use [ code ] ... [ / code] tags (no spaces inside the brackets) when posting code and config.

Are you saying you get zero messages? I would expect you to get one, but there is definitely a window to lose messages this way (the consumer only lives during the receive() and, like I said, if you're not consuming during the publish you will lose messages.

For this application, you should probably drop down to some of the lower-level JmsTemplate APIs, such as...

Code:
              jmsTemplate.execute(new SessionCallback<Object>() {
              	public Object doInJms(Session session) throws JMSException {
              		MessageConsumer consumer = session.createConsumer(destination);
              		while (true) {
              			Message message = consumer.receive();
              			System.out.println(message);
              		}
              	}
              });

Thanks alot for your help - I see what happens when my application gets deployed my jmsReceiver is not actually added as a topic consumer to ActiveMQ - it only gets registered in activeMQ at the first call to jmsTemplate.recieve -is there a way I can make sure it gets registered as a consumer on the application startup & not at the first time that I call receive?

Comment

You can use a durable subscription, BUT earlier you said you only wanted to receive Messages when a client asks for them. If that's not the case, registering a MessageListener container is definitely simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Fisher View Post
                  You can use a durable subscription, BUT earlier you said you only wanted to receive Messages when a client asks for them. If that's not the case, registering a MessageListener container is definitely simpler.
                  I ended up calling jmsTemplate.receive when the setJmsTemplate gets called on the JMSReceiver instantiation from the applicationContext.xml- this way it establishes a connection, so when messages do come in & when the client asks for it it will receive them - is that Ok?
                  On the MessageListener part how do I define a clientID on startup - when I set it to be durable?

I have seen posts which say do not use jmsTemplate.receive - is that true? if not how else should I be receiving messages synchronously?

Comment

As I said, receive() on a topic has issues, because the consumer only lives within its scope, when it returns there is no consumer; if someone publishes another message while you are processing the current one, you will miss it. Use execute() with the SessionCallback as I described above.

A Queue has no such issues. Is there some reason you need to use a topic rather than a queue for this? Do you have a requirement for multiple consumers to get a message?

The DefaultMessageListenerContainer has a clientId property - use setClientId().

Comment

As I said, receive() on a topic has issues, because the consumer only lives within its scope, when it returns there is no consumer; if someone publishes another message while you are processing the current one, you will miss it. Use execute() with the SessionCallback as I described above.

A Queue has no such issues. Is there some reason you need to use a topic rather than a queue for this? Do you have a requirement for multiple consumers to get a message?

The DefaultMessageListenerContainer has a clientId property - use setClientId().
                      I originally used queues & it worked fine but then I found out that there will be multiple consumers for this message so I have no choice but to use topics.
                      I will use the execute then - Do I call jmsTemplate.execute whenever I am ready to get messages?

I saw the setClientId - but how do I have that value when I am instantiating it from the applicationContext.xml? where does the client id get generated?

Comment

You should call execute() when your application needs to. You won't see any messages until you call it, and create the consumer.

The client id is simply a unique identifier for the client, so the broker can maintain state for it (such as durable subscription to a topic)

You can either set it on the connection factory (preferred) or on the listener container bean.

Comment

Thanks alot for all you help with this - since I am new to spring I appreciate it very much - I ended up going the MessageListenerContainer - works alot better & cleaner like you had advised earlier - Since I set the clientID on the connectionFactory it is now durable so the consumer is there on the start of my service. I just maintain a static class to hold all the messages for when the client wants it.

In regard to the synchronous way even when I called execute I got the following message:
                          WARNING: Received a message on a connection which is not yet started. Have you forgotten to call Connection.start()?
                          Was I supposed to set additional properties in the jmsTemplate for recieving data? Is there a way to set the subscription durable with synchronouse to have the consumer there on start of the application like the messageListener is?

Comment

Working...
                          X