Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Sharing a JMS session between producer and consumer from different topics using Sprin Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a JMS session between producer and consumer from different topics using Sprin

How can I share a single session between two topics using Spring?

Without Spring it is straightforward to do
    Look up ConnectionFactory using either of the two clientIds (both topics are on same broker)
    Code:
        Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection();
        session = connection.createSession(true, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
        session.createdurableSubscriber(Topic A);
        session.createProducer(Topic B);
    so this way both the consumer for topic A and producer for topic B come under the same session.
    I want to replicate this behavior using the Spring framework

What I have so far is two jmsTemplates

Code:
        <bean id="jmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="connectionFactory1"/>
        <property name="pubSubDomain" value="true"/>
        <property name="deliveryPersistent" value="true"/>
        </bean>

<bean id="jmsTemplate1" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
        <property name="connectionFactory" ref="connectionFactory2"/>
        </bean>
    ConnectionFactory1 and ConnectionFactory are different in that the name used to look them up in the JNDI is different as they both have different client IDs.

One option is to use the JmsTemplate's execute method which requires a SessionCallback. In that callback you are handed the Session being used and can perform any low-level operations you need directly with the JMS API.

I'm a bit confused that you talk about needing the same Session but then show 2 different ConnectionFactories in use, but maybe you are just showing that you have more than one JmsTemplate within the application?

Hope that helps.
    -Mark

Comment

Is there any way in the xml to indicate that I want the same sesion to be used?
      What if I use the same jmsTemplate for both the producer and consumer (and specify a different clientId for the MessageListener)

Code:
                    <bean id="jmsTemplate" class="org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate">
                          <property name="connectionFactory" ref="connectionFactory"/>
                    </bean>

<bean id="stagingMessageListener" class="org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer">
      		<property name="connectionFactory" ref="connectionFactory"/>
      		<property name="destination" ref="topicA"/>
      		<property name="messageListener" ref="messageListener"/>
      		<property name="sessionAcknowledgeModeName" value="AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE"/>
      		<property name="subscriptionDurable" value="true"/>
      		<property name="clientId" value="XYZ"/>
      	</bean>

<bean id="notificationSender" class="abc.my.MessageSender">
      		<constructor-arg index="0" type = "javax.jms.Destination" ref="topicB"/>
      		<constructor-arg index="1" type = "org.springframework.jms.core.JmsTemplate" ref="jmsTemplate"/>
      	</bean>
      Since they now share the same connectionFactory is there any way for them to share the same session.
      I am trying to make the receive() and publish() execute under the same session so that I can perform an atomic commit or rollback

Comment

If you set sessionAcknowledgeMode="transacted", any jmsTemplate operations on the same thread will use the same session (do not add a transactionManager; it will just use a local transaction on the session).

Comment

Sorry; since you are not using namespace support, you need to set sessionTransacted to "true".

With the <jms:message-listener-container/> namespace, transactions are enabled via acknowledge-mode="transacted".

Comment

Thanks Gary,
            So if I set sessionTransacted= true; I don't need to do this,

Code:
            jmsTemplate.execute(new SessionCallback<Object>() {

public Object doInJms(Session session) throws JMSException {
            					session.commit();
            					return null;
            				}
            			});
            Is that correct?
            Is the commit() taken care of for me, if so then when does it happen?
            Also for certain Exceptions (InvalidMessageException), I want the MessageListener to commit() and not rollback(). Is the default behavior for exceptions in the MessageListener rollback() or commit()?

Comment

Yes, with transacted sessions, the listener container takes care of the commit for you, when the message listener returns. The session is bound to the thread - that's how the jmstemplate gets access to it.

Exceptions will cause a rollback; simply catch any exceptions in the listener for which you want the receive() to commit.

Comment

Awesome thanks,

Also if a the connection to the broker is lost during the onMessage() does the JMSTemplate handle the rollback and reconnect for me?
                Where can I read more about how the reconnect is handled?

Comment

No; if the connection is lost, the session will be bad and the template will throw a (JMS) exception; let this propagate back to the listener container and he will take care of reconnecting. Since the connection was lost during a transaction everything will be rolled back.

I suggest you read the chapter on JMS in the Spring Reference...

http://static.springsource.org/sprin.../html/jms.html

Comment

Thanks Gary,

On the link you mentioned when they talk about Synchronous Receive they say:

While JMS is typically associated with asynchronous processing, it is possible to consume messages synchronously. The overloaded receive(..) methods provide this functionality. During a synchronous receive, the calling thread blocks until a message becomes available.
                    What overloaded receive method are they talking about? The only receive I can see on the JMSTemplate is receive(Destination)
                    Last edited by [email protected]; May 9th, 2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I got the answer to that one. jmsTemplate.receive() methods are synchronous. I have run into another problem of how to use synchronous receive using jmstemplate when I need a durable subscriber. Thats a different thread though:
                      http://forum.springsource.org/showth...ableSubscriber

Comment

Working...
                      X