Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queue Workers pool

Hi to everybody,
    I'd like to implement a pool of workers to read messages from a queue, like in the RabbitMQ tutorial page.

Looking at the rabbit stocks example I tried to use the following:

Code:
    <listener-container concurrency="5" connection-factory="connectionFactory" message-converter="jsonMessageConverter"	xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/rabbit">
         <listener ref="myWorker" method="handleMessage" queue-names="#{myqueue.name}" />
    </listener-container>
    There should be 5 threads reading messages from the queue. However, I tried to count how many instances of my classes were created (using a static counter incremented in the constructor) but I saw that only one instance of my class were created, although looking at the log it seems that the SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor are created correctly (I see SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-1, SimpleAsyncTaskExecutor-2, etc..).

Could I encounter synchronization problem? Where can I found more details about how to design correctly pool of queue workers and manage concurrency problems? For example, how can I disable auto acknowledge via spring config file?

Best,
    Flavio

I am not sure what you mean; the listener container creates a BlockingQueueConsumer instance for each Consumer and runs a thread within it; there are no synchronization issues within the container, but your MessageListener (and dependent classes) must be thread-safe because there is only one listener instance per container.

It's best to make your code thread-safe. If it is not, you will need a container for each consumer (with concurrency=1) and make sure your listener bean (and its dependencies) are prototype beans (so each container gets a new instance).

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply Gary!
      Yeah..probably it's better if first I explain what I need..I don't know if what I implemented is correct..

I would like to buffer in a queue some json that I need to index in Lucene. Queue could potentially grow very fast (many producers) and indexing in lucene could take a while. Thus, from what I understood looking at the RabbitMQ tutorial, I need many workers (i.e. consumers) instances waiting for a message and do the indexing stuff. I need to be able to choose the right number of workers and maybe create a pool for them...am I right? Does the listener-container do what I need setting concurrency parameter? Am I doing something wrong..?

Best,
      Flavio

Comment

Yes; the container will take of it with the concurrency setting. It currently doesn't support dynamically growing and shrinking the pool, though.

Comment

Great! So the last question is: is there a way to concretely monitor active consumers? I just noticed that looking at the management UI there are 5 open channels..is there some other way to monitor what the listener container is doing?

Comment

Not really but I would recommend using acknowledge=auto; you can play around with the prefetch and txSize (to reduce the ack chatter) and monitor the unacked message count. If you use acknowledge=NONE and you don't have enough consumers, you will likely run out of memory.

Comment

So Spring integration as usual solved almost all my issues raised during the RabbitMQ tutorial
              Dynamically growing and shrinking of the pool was also on my "wish-list" but probably is a not a so-requested feature if not implemented I imagine..so my last question about this topic (I promise!) is how do I design my queue to scale?
              I mean, what's the best strategy if I discover that my queue continue to grow (also is there a way to discover it automatically like e-mailing or similar)? I think that my first try will be to try to increase the number of workers in the listener-container up to my number of processors (or more??) and than to move to a clustered solution..the problem is that I have just one queue and from what I understood queues are not shared between brokers..maybe there's the possibility to make a round-robin policy also on the delivery of messages in the queues? What could it be the best evolution of my system?

Thank you for the great support,
              Flavio

Comment

was also on my "wish-list"
                It has been requested; we have an open JIRA issue but it needs some restructuring of the container so it won't be in the next release (1.2 due shortly - the release candidate went out yesterday). It might make it into the next release.

It's hard to judge the concurrency needed; it depends on what your application is doing.

RabbitMQ does have HA (mirrored) queues; you should really ask questions about RabbitMQ fundamentals over on the RabbitMQ mailing list where the Rabbit experts hang out. This forum is just about Spring-AMQP and how it interfaces with RabbitMQ

Comment

Working...
                X