X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getRabbitTemplate throws NullPointerException

Following the spring-rabbit-stocks example of the RabbitMarketDataGateway, I've extended my publisher class called EventEnginePublisher with RabbitGatewaySupport. It should pick up the RabbitTemplate from the XML configuration, but it does not. When I publish a message, I get a NullPointerException.

Here is my XML configuration:

Code:
      <bean id="eventEnginePublisher" class="eventhub.ws.publish.EventEnginePublisher">
        <property name="rabbitTemplate" ref="amqpTemplate"/>
      </bean>

<rabbit:connection-factory id="connectionFactory" host="eventhub-dev"
                     username="guest" password="guest" channel-cache-size="5"/>

<bean id="jsonConverter" class="org.springframework.amqp.support.converter.JsonMessageConverter"/>

<rabbit:template id="amqpTemplate" connection-factory="connectionFactory"
               message-converter="jsonConverter"/>

<rabbit:admin id="rabbitAdmin" connection-factory="connectionFactory"/>

<rabbit:topic-exchange id="eventExchange" name="eventdata" durable="true"/>
    And here is the code that sends the message:

Code:
    public class EventEnginePublisher extends RabbitGatewaySupport {
      static Logger log = Logger.getLogger(EventEnginePublisher.class);

public publish(EventType event) {
        RabbitTemplate bunnyTemplate = getRabbitTemplate();

ApplicationContext context = new GenericXmlApplicationContext("classpath:/servlet-config.xml");
        RabbitTemplate template = context.getBean(RabbitTemplate.class);

log.debug("bunnyTemplate = " + bunnyTemplate);
        log.debug("     template = " + template);
        bunnyTemplate.convertAndSend("eventexchange", "somerouting", event);
      }
    }
    To compare, I also get the RabbitTemplate using the ApplicationContext. The debug statements produce the following output. The bunnyTemplate is null, but the template references the RabbitTemplate.

Code:
    2013-04-08 14:58:46,780 DEBUG EventEnginePublisher bunnyTemplate = null
    2013-04-08 14:58:46,782 DEBUG EventEnginePublisher      template = org.springframework.amqp.rabbit.core.RabbitTemplate@64cfa471
    Here is the error:

Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            eventhub.ws.publish.EventEnginePublisher.publish(EventEnginePublisher.java:91)
            eventhub.ws.publish.PublishEventController.PublishRestEvent(PublishEventController.java:59)
            sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
            sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
            sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
            java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
            org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invoke(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:213)
            org.springframework.web.method.support.InvocableHandlerMethod.invokeForRequest(InvocableHandlerMethod.java:126)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.invokeAndHandle(ServletInvocableHandlerMethod.java:96)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:617)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.annotation.RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.handleInternal(RequestMappingHandlerAdapter.java:578)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.method.AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.handle(AbstractHandlerMethodAdapter.java:80)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:923)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:852)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:882)
            org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:789)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
            javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
    EventEnginePublisher.java:91 refers to the code:

Code:
    bunnyTemplate.convertAndSend("eventexchange", "somerouting", event);
    What am I doing wrong?

First, you don't need to declare a logger, the logger in the superclass is protected.

Second, you are looking at different contexts; for the second template you are creating a completely new application context.

So you are not comparing apples with apples.

How are you getting a handle to the EventEnginePublisher in the PublishEventController?

You can't just create an instance, you have to inject it into the controller. Please show your complete Spring configuration, and web.xml.

Comment

Ah! I was missing the injection of the instance of EventEnginePublisher into PublishEventController. I defined it previously using XML, but removed it when I switched to using Java annotations in the PublishEventController to simplify using it as a web service endpoint. I forgot to add the @Autowired annotation to the EventEnginePublisher object, plus I was creating a new instance of EventEnginePublisher every time the web service was hit rather than using the injected EventEnginePublisher. Spring Framework rookie mistakes. Now it works properly and looks like this:

Code:
      @Controller
      @RequestMapping("/v1")
      final class PublishEventController {

@Autowired
        private EventEnginePublisher eventEnginePublisher;

public void setEventEnginePublisher(EventEnginePublisher eventEnginePublisher) {
          this.eventEnginePublisher = eventEnginePublisher;
        }

@RequestMapping(value = "/rest",
            method = RequestMethod.POST,
            consumes = {MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON_VALUE, MediaType.APPLICATION_XML_VALUE},
            produces = {MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON_VALUE, MediaType.APPLICATION_XML_VALUE})
        @ResponseBody
        public EventType PublishRestEvent(@RequestBody EventType publishedEvent) {

publishedEvent.getHead().setTimeStamp(new DateTime());

if (eventEnginePublisher.publish(publishedEvent)) {
            publishedEvent.getHead().setGuid("abcRestEvent123");
          }
          else {
            publishedEvent.getHead().setGuid("error occurred");
          }
          return publishedEvent;
        }
      }
      Thanks for your help!

Comment