Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will you support AMQP 1.0?

Hi,

are there any plans to support the new AMQP 1.0 specification which has been quite a while since it was release in October 2011?

Currently Spring AMQP 1.0.0 GA has a quite misleading name as it suggests AMQP 1.0 support but in fact it supports only the outdated 0-9-1 AMQP spec.

We have a free AMQP 1.0 client and I'd like to volunteer designing Spring's support of the AMQP 1.0 spec so that we can wire our client in.

How to go forward with this issue?

Thanks,
    Andreas
    IIT Software/SwiftMQ

It's a pity that no one from Spring has the balls to answer this simple question. Leaves the impression that Spring AMQP locks users to its own outdated 0-9-1 implementation.

Comment

The 1.0.0 version applies to the Spring AMQP project itself. Although we do provide a neutral abstraction layer, currently our only implementation builds upon the RabbitMQ Java client, and that's the main reason that we are thus far only supporting the 0.9.1 version of the AMQP spec. Considering the current adoption of 0.9.1, I'd hardly say it's "outdated" (although, I see that the AMQP spec page itself categorizes it as such - nice).

There's definitely no "lock-in" intentions - just practically speaking that's been our focus so far. We are planning to follow-up with regard to AMQP 1.0. Also, monitoring the forums is but one of dozens of responsibilities, so don't read too much into a reply taking more than 24 hours.

Comment

0-9-1 is an outdated spec which uses different entities (aka exchanges) than AMQP 1.0. It is incompatible and these early adoption is part of the problem. Since Spring AMQP abstracts the 0-9-1 model, it irons this outdated 0-9-1 and, surprise, surprise, locks it into its own implementation, RabbitMQ.

The AMQP 1.0 spec is available since October 2011. It is in transition to an OASIS and ISO standard. This is the official and final AMQP specification and everything below is outdated. So it should actually be a duty, especially as VMware is member of the AMQP Working Group, to support the latest spec and not to iron an old version. I see this behavior not only here but also with the Akka framework where an VMware engineer is working on an AMQP 0-9-1 module for Akka 2.0.

So, again my question: When will you support AMQP 1.0?
        Last edited by iit; Jan 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

We don't have a set date as we are awaiting feedback on the RabbitMQ plugin prototype for AMQP 1.0 support:
          https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-amqp1.0

Because the changes from 0.9.1 to 1.0 are significant, it will not be a trivial exercise - especially given that we need to continue supporting 0.9.1. It might even require parallel versions of much of the core model.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Fisher View Post
            We don't have a set date as we are awaiting feedback on the RabbitMQ plugin prototype for AMQP 1.0 support:
            https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-amqp1.0
            How many years do you want to wait? They stopped development of this plugin on October 4th, just enough to get through the interop demo on the AMQP conference in NY.

They don't have an AMQP 1.0 client (!). This is what you need to model a Spring abstraction, right? ;-) They only have this server-side plugin. However, I did a lot of test together with Michael Bridgen with the free SwiftMQ AMQP 1.0 Client against their plugin and it is working. It also works with Apache Qpid's AMQP 1.0 client. So you have 2 freely available AMQP 1.0 clients and are able to create a Spring abstraction.

Because the changes from 0.9.1 to 1.0 are significant, it will not be a trivial exercise - especially given that we need to continue supporting 0.9.1. It might even require parallel versions of much of the core model.
            Sure. You need 2 branches, one for the outdated 0-9-1 (this is what you have) and a new one for the 1.0 (this is what we need). AMQP 1.0 has close relationship to JMS so the JmsTemplate could be the base design for this abstraction. However, it must be message neutral because every lib has its own message type. If you need help, I'd be very glad to volunteer.

Enterprise customers want to have a save investment. Only AMQP 1.0 is the official standard and it guarantees backward compatibility so we need a Spring abstraction here.

Comment

What is the license of your client? It looks like you require registration just to download it, and I would imagine that's a showstopper for many. Developers tend to expect open source when a library is free, and they want to be able to just configure Maven, Gradle, or Ant to point to a public repository for their dependencies.

We will begin to explore a 1.0 model for Spring AMQP on a branch, and we will prioritize the roadmap based on feedback from the community; yours is noted, but we're not hearing many requests from our community or customers yet.

Regards,
              Mark

Comment

I think that many such "enterprise customers" would twice before using a product from a company which posts on forums in such an unprofessional way. Do you post on your own forum in the same way? Should I expect to have to taunt you before you respond to my questions about bugs I may find? I see that I would have to pay you in order to have that priveledge...

This thread should be locked and/or deleted in my opinion. At best, this is thread is nothing more than spam.
                Last edited by DRStevens; Jan 24th, 2012, 10:37 AM.

Comment

You may just read elsewhere if you don't understand whats going on here. This is not spam but was a request to support AMQP 1.0. No more, no less.
                  Last edited by iit; Jan 24th, 2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

What is the license of your client? It looks like you require registration just to download it, and I would imagine that's a showstopper for many. Developers tend to expect open source when a library is free, and they want to be able to just configure Maven, Gradle, or Ant to point to a public repository for their dependencies.
                    The license is proprietary but for free use. You can use Apache Qpid's AMQP 1.0 client to model your abstraction. Important is that we have a neutral AMQP 1.0 core where we can wire our client in, as mentioned in my first post, see above.

If you don't want to support AMQP 1.0, just tell it! Supporting 0-9-1 instead will split/fork the standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X