Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest service composition?

All,

I am fairly new to SI and would like to know if synchronous service composition is one of the patterns that SI supports. I have seen documentation on splitting/aggregation, but I have not come across information on aggregating services.

In this situation, I need to call service A and service B using related, but slightly different information and then aggregate and return the result.

It looks like I can roll my own by making two sync. calls using Springs rest template and then doing the aggregation afterward. Is this a use case that SI also supports? I would like to reuse the timeout functionality in the http gateway. Looking at the rest template, it doesn't look like there is an option to time out.

Thanks!

It sounds like it could be implemented as 1) publish-subscribe-channel 2) the two consumers that make the REST calls and 3) an aggregator. If you want the calls to be executed concurrently, you can provide a task-executor to the publish-subscribe-channel, or if you want to keep everything within a single transaction, then you can let them execute sequentially (by relying on the default where the same thread will execute both).

Comment

send and receive?

Mark,

If I use a publish-subscribe-channel with a task executor (so both calls are executed concurrently), followed by an aggregator, the overall flow (pub-sub -> aggregator) will be executed synchronously, correct? Though it would be nice for both rest calls to be executed concurrently, I still need to do this work within a method call that has a return parameter.

Would this work as I expect?

Comment

Yes, they would be executed synchronously unless you provide an explicit "task-executor" on the publish-subscribe-channel.

Comment

Working...
        X