Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the name "Spring Integration" be changed?

I know this request will probably never be approved, but let me express why I dislike this name.

When you search or mention "Spring Integration", people generally think it as "integration of X with Spring Framework", i.e. Spring EJB integration, Spring-Hibernate integration, etc.

But now, "Spring Integration" means "Library to implement Enterprise Integration Patterns in your application".

While I think Spring Integration is a great library, its name can be a source of confusion.

I can't think of a catchy name. But names like Spring EIP or Spring EAI seems accurate and less confusing (using Spring MVC style). In the Spring Web Flow style, Spring Integration would be named Spring Message Flow.

I'd vote for Spring ESB.

I agree, Spring Integration is a really confusing name at best.

Comment

Originally posted by jsight View Post
      I'd vote for Spring ESB.

I agree, Spring Integration is a really confusing name at best.
      jsight truly beat me to it, I vote for Spring ESB too :-)

Please, we're still on M2, there's still RCs before release. Can we get this name change?

Comment

I'd vote against Spring ESB. ESB makes me think of big, color rectangle and arrows comming in with labels such as "SAP", "DB2", "WS", "POP3", "Legacy", "FTP", ...

Spring Int emphasis is on "integration", not "bus". Maybe it's subtle distinction, but Spring EIP sounds better, more professional, gives a hint what it is all about (the EIP book) and is less marketing-oriented.

regards
        Grzegorz Grzybek

Comment

Originally posted by Grzegorz Grzybek View Post
          I'd vote against Spring ESB. ESB makes me think of big, color rectangle and arrows comming in with labels such as "SAP", "DB2", "WS", "POP3", "Legacy", "FTP", ...

Spring Int emphasis is on "integration", not "bus". Maybe it's subtle distinction, but Spring EIP sounds better, more professional, gives a hint what it is all about (the EIP book) and is less marketing-oriented.

regards
          Grzegorz Grzybek
          I agree with Grzegorz's "Spring EIP sounds better, more professional, gives a hint what it is all about (the EIP book) and is less marketing-oriented." though I am not against Spring ESB.

I think both are much better improvement in naming than the current Spring Integration. And either of them would do well for SEO/marketing purposes.

Comment

Although I got accustomed to "Spring-Integration" name And it shows as first hit in google.

Comment

ESB is just one particular application of SI and I don't think it would be a good name. EIP is also not accurate as SI is an integration framework and not an implementation of the patterns themselves (see Apache Camel for that).

Spring EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) would be a decent alternative.

Or "Bob".

Comment

Originally posted by Solstice View Post
                ESB is just one particular application of SI and I don't think it would be a good name. EIP is also not accurate as SI is an integration framework and not an implementation of the patterns themselves (see Apache Camel for that).

Spring EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) would be a decent alternative.

Or "Bob".
                I agree that Spring ESB isn't a great name, but it would help with marketing some if the ESB-features of the overall product were clearer in the documentation.

Spring EAI seems ok to me.

OTOH, I think Spring-Bob would be a GREAT name for it, so what do I know?

Comment

I vote for Spring-NESB (Not an ESB)

Comment

Granted, Spring Integration is probably the most poorly named Spring project, but please remember we're on 2.0.0.M2, not 1.0.0.M2. There are some people I know that would have to change the name of their book...

Comment

Working...
                    X