Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poller and transaction

Hi all,

In spring Integration, when using a Poller with a transaction manager, in can see in log that the poller opens, commits and closes a transaction at every poll, even if there is no message. In my case, the interval-trigger is set to 1s.

So I've a transaction used every second. Is there a way to have a transaction use only if there is a message?

Regards,

David

The transaction begins before the poll so that the poll itself would be included in the transaction. That is mostly useful when you are using an inbound-channel-adapter to invoke a method that you want to include in the transaction boundary. There are a couple things that you can do to avoid that. First, if it works for your use-case, you can simply add transaction support on the methods that are being invoked within endpoints (e.g. @Transactional on a method that is referenced by a "service-activator"). Second, you can decrease the cost of the transaction by using something like Spring's LazyConnectionDataSourceProxy: http://static.springsource.org/sprin...urceProxy.html

Does the first option work for your use-case? If not, can you provide some more information? We might consider other transaction boundary options for Spring Integration 2.0.

Thanks,
    Mark

Comment

If the source would be peekable the poller could peek first and then open a transaction if it likely needs to read something. This might be worth a JIRA.

Comment

Mark,

yes it works with adding the transactional annotation to the methods called by spring-integration.

But in a general point of view, if you use a transaction poller, it creates lot of transaction for doing nothing. It could be interesting to postpone the transaction boundary when a message is received.

Regards,

David

Comment

David,

Could you open an issue in JIRA for this? We can explore the options even if the issue ends up being superseded by another one. The main problem I see is that the only purpose for transactional demarcation at the poller level is when the actual receive() call needs to be part of the transaction.

Therefore, I see 2 options for this:
          1) support transactions after the receive - in most cases using a dispatching-channel (one without a 'queue') with a transaction interceptor should be the right boundary
          2) support some kind of peek() prior to receive() if possible... the problem is that provides a window of vulnerability

I have a feeling that option 1 is sufficient for your case because the receive call is not relevant for a transaction anyways? (it could be if using an inbound-channel-adapter or in the future if we have "transactional" channels).

Comment

Hi,

I've created a Jira ticket: http://jira.springsource.org/browse/INT-744

Regards,

David

Comment

Working...
            X