Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Integration talk preparation

Hello everybody.

I'm going to talk about Spring Integration on a local tech meeting. The goal is to familiarize people with this framework and promote it. I suppose Mark and Iwein and probably others have rich experience of presenting this great framework to different audiences. Unfortunately, I could find only one complete presentation on web: http://www.jugs.ch/html/events/slide...ntegration.pdf (slow link).

My audience will require some background about EIP and ESB, and the place of Spring Integration in this ecosystem. Also I want to make a demo of running code for some real world problem solved efficiently with Spring Integration.

So I'm looking for the examples. It can be a complete slide presentation, or a plan for such talk, or just an idea of a good example I can code and demonstrate.

Thank you.

Andrew.

I don't believe none of you made a presentation of spring integration. Don't be shy, share your materials!

Comment

When is your presentation?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewsk View Post
        I don't believe none of you made a presentation of spring integration. Don't be shy, share your materials!
        http://www.slideshare.net/iweinfuld

Comment

Mark: on Monday. Will have a busy weekend, most important is to prepare a good running demo. It should be small enough to understand but real enough to persuade.

Iwein: thanks, that is very helpful.

Comment

Mark: on Monday. Will have a busy weekend, most important is to prepare a good running demo. It should be small enough to understand but real enough to persuade.

Iwein: thanks, that is very helpful.
            For an introduction I usually do the xml version of the cafe demo. Just open cafeDemo.xml in STS and talk your way through from the top, Ctrl+click where you want to show java code or bean definitions.

I usually run CafeDemo, then walk through cafeDemo.xml, then run it again and tune the performance, explaining about pollers and task-executors.

Comment

Andrew,

We will be releasing 1.0.3 either before, during, or shortly after your presentation

I wanted to point out however, that one really nice thing about 1.0.3 is the new packaging of the samples.

The process will be trivial after the release. Here is the README that will be in the 'samples' directory of the main distribution (running 'mvn install' only):
              https://src.springsource.org/svn/spr...les/README.txt

In the meantime, you should be able to do the following (working off SVN head) with only one slightly quirky step since it's not a release:

[#]:svn co https://src.springsource.org/svn/spr...egration/trunk .
              [#]:cd build-spring-integration/
              [#]:ant jar package
              [#]:ant publish-maven-local
              [#]:cd target/package-expanded/spring-integration-1.0.3.BUILD-20090703133537/samples

(the directory name above will have a different timestamp)

copy the name of the build (e.g., 1.0.3.BUILD-20090703133537)

paste it into pom.xml properties between the <release.version> tags (replacing 1.0.3.RELEASE)

[#]:mvn install

Then you should be able to import the projects into a Maven-aware IDE as described in the README that I linked to above.

You will see the cafe as well as 8 other samples. We will be improving the javadoc for the release, but they should be fairly self-explanatory.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
              Mark

Comment

Mark, thanks for the explanations. Despite I already know how to build Spring Integration from trunk for the Delay Queue, they can help other forum visitors.

The samples you referenced are great and helped me a lot for understanding how to configure and use different components of spring integration. But AFAIR the only full-blown application is cafe. After looking at Iwein's presentations I understand this example, but I'd like to mimic a real enterprise application.
                Last edited by andrewsk; Jul 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Iwein can I use bullet lists with the same wording from your presentation "Connecting Enterprise Applications?"

I will not use original graphics, but your wording is so clear I don't want to rephrase 80% of the slides. Of course, I will share my slides as well.

Comment

Iwein can I use bullet lists with the same wording from your presentation "Connecting Enterprise Applications?"

I will not use original graphics, but your wording is so clear I don't want to rephrase 80% of the slides. Of course, I will share my slides as well.
                    IANAL, but I don't mind. As long as you give credit where it's due I'd be very pleased if you used my work (including diagrams).

The cartoons are done by Babiche Israel http://babicheisrael.blogspot.com/ IIRC she still has copyright, so you should ask her if you can reuse them if you want that. If you're not going to use the espresso metaphor you need new imagery of course

Comment

Credits are out of the question, sure I will tell where is the original.

Regarding the cafe example, on the second thought it might be actually better than another boring business application. It's very easy to understand and it is fun.

Comment

Iwein, if you are so kind and allow me to use your diagrams, can you send me the original presentation to [email protected] so I can copy graphics in high resolution?

I promise not to use Israel's drawings.

Comment

Working...
                        X