question on RecipientListRouter/PublishSubscribe Channel Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on RecipientListRouter/PublishSubscribe Channel

I'm currently implementing a Scatter-Gather usecase.
    To do so, I've got two options:
    - using a RecipientListRouter,
    - using a Publish/Subscribe Channel.

However, while the Publish/Subscribe Channel allows to add automatically the message's headers SequenceNumber and SequenceSize, the RecipientListRouter do not.
    May I suggest to add this feature to the RecipientListRouter?

Moreover, if I understand the purpose of the attribute apply-sequence on the element publish-subscribe, it gives the possibility to use a aggregator after. But if the correlationId is not present, the aggregator throws a MessagHandlingException. So may I suggest to generate a correlationId if none exists with the attribute apply-sequence too?

Finally, I've got a stupid question: I understood that the semantic of a PublishSubscribe Channel (or RecipientListRouter) is to send the same message to different channel but with the attribute appy-sequence, the header is different as the sequenceNumber is different. Don't you think that it could cause misunderstood?

Hope my questions are clear enough and sorry for my english.

Best Regards,

Is there a reason that you are preferring to use the recipient-list router over a publish-subscribe-channel?

To answer your last question... the Messages that are sent when "apply-sequence" is TRUE, cannot be exactly the same - *because of* the different header values. That's the reason that we do not have a default value of TRUE... the flag should only be enabled when you do want to have a downstream Aggregator. Otherwise, when it is FALSE, the exact same Message is sent to all subscribers.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response.
      In fact, I have to implement a Scatter-Gather usecase and I am trying to show how it could be implemented. In the book of G. Hohpe and B. Woolf, it can be done either with a Recipient List or with a Publish Subscribe Channel according to where the knowledge of recipients is.
      So in my implementations, I am trying to be exhaustive and to show how it could be done.
      This is why I think that if the PublishSubscribe Channel can add properties, the RecipientList should too. What do you think about?

And what do you think about adding the correlationId with the apply-sequence?

Thanks in advance.
      Best Regards,

Could you please add two issues via JIRA:
        1. add correlationId header when applying sequence with publish-subscribe-channel
        2. add "apply-sequence" boolean flag to RecipientListRouter

Thanks Mark.
          Two issues have been opened :

Best regards,

The publish-subscribe-channel version should work as of now (with the SVN head version). I just resolved INT-678. Please try it out if you get a chance.

Hi Mark,

i just tested your evolution from trunk and everything seems great. Moreover the new element recipient-list-router is a good idea!
              Thanks a lot!

Here is the tested code for interested developpers
              	<recipient-list-router id="recipientListRouter" input-channel="requestChannel" ignore-send-failures="true" apply-sequence="true">
              		<recipient channel="recipientListToBE1"/>
              		<recipient channel="recipientListToBE2"/>
              		<recipient channel="recipientListToBE3"/>