Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring, Spring Integration, transactions and annotations

Hi,

I have a very strange problem. Although I don't have an example to reproduce this yet (which I'm creating) I thought I would ask first in general terms to see if there's a simple resolution or if it is a known issue. It could be me that's doing something wrong.

Essentially I have annotated a bean as @Transactional and I do have <tx:annotation-driven /> in my context as well. The bean itself is lazily loading an entity property. When this bean is declared as a service activator it fails saying that no session is open. When that service activator line is commented out it succeeds. The same thing happens with @Autowired. It works with SI disabled and fails with SI enabled.

At first impressions it appears as though when SI is enabled any annotations on the endpoints/beans themselves get disregarded / don't get processed. I am in the process of doing a standalone example to try and find out more about what happens. But I have to ask - what is going on here? Is this normal? Is there anything I can try?

Regarding transactions here's a bit more info on our flow.

Channels:

Code:
        <channel id="ch1">
            <queue capacity="50" />
        </channel>
        <channel id="ch2" />
        <channel id="ch3" />
        <channel id="ch4" />
        <channel id="ch5" />

<thread-pool-task-executor id="pool" core-size="6" max-size="12" />

<gateway id="myGateway" service-interface="MyGateway" default-request-channel="ch1" />

<service-activator input-channel="ch1" output-channel="ch2" ref="myThreadForker" method="fork">
            <poller receive-timeout="60000" task-executor="pool">
                <interval-trigger interval="100" />
            </poller>
        </service-activator>

<filter ref="myFilter1" method="filter" input-channel="ch2" output-channel="ch3" />
        <filter ref="myFilter2" method="filter" input-channel="ch3" output-channel="ch4" />
        <service-activator ref="myService1" method="method1" input-channel="ch4" output-channel="ch4" />
        <service-activator ref="myService2" method="method2" input-channel="ch4" />
    It is any or all of the filters and service activators at the bottom that need to be transactional.

Even if I use direct channels as below the problem still persists.

Code:
        <channel id="ch1" />
        <channel id="ch2" />
        <channel id="ch3" />
        <channel id="ch4" />
        <channel id="ch5" />

<gateway id="myGateway" service-interface="MyGateway" default-request-channel="ch1" />
        <filter ref="myFilter1" method="filter" input-channel="ch1" output-channel="ch3" />
        <filter ref="myFilter2" method="filter" input-channel="ch3" output-channel="ch4" />
        <service-activator ref="myService1" method="method1" input-channel="ch4" output-channel="ch4" />
    Even if I define the transactions in xml they are still not active. If I comment out the relevant bean from the flow the transactions work in junit context loading integration tests.

I realise that this is very strange and it is highly likely that this is a problem in my app rather than with the product but not sure what else to try.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Although the problem of transactional annotations or xml not being picked up still exists I have managed to get the flow to be transactional by adding a <transactional /> subelement to the poller. Now I have a different problem.

I presume that the transactional configuration on the poller sets the defaults for each thread. However each endpoint may want to override these defaults. @Transactional annotations are not being picked up on each endpoint (I do have <tx:annotation-driven />. Am I right in thinking that the transactional subelement (as below) will establish defaults for each invocation on a given thread and that endpoints should be able to override it using either annotations or xml? This is not working for me and I'm not sure why.

Code:
        <channel id="ch1">
            <queue capacity="50" />
        </channel>
        <channel id="ch2" />
        <channel id="ch3" />
        <channel id="ch4" />
        <channel id="ch5" />

<service-activator input-channel="ch1" output-channel="ch2" ref="myThreadForker" method="fork">
            <poller receive-timeout="60000" task-executor="pool">
                <interval-trigger interval="100" />
                <transactional transaction-manager="myTxManager" propagation="REQUIRES_NEW" />
            </poller>
        </service-activator>

<filter ref="myFilter1" method="filter" input-channel="ch2" output-channel="ch3" />
    I'm familiar with transactions in Spring where at every layer you can transaction demarcations with custom settings but how is that achieved in a flow? Maybe I'm not thinking clearly. Please feel free to interject :-)

Comment

One important thing to remember about transactions is that they happen within a single thread. Your "myThreadForker" may break transactional boundaries if it does what I think it does.

Anyway, if you have a sample we can confirm what is going wrong.

Comment

I'm using Spring Integration, and I don't understand how can you start, commit and rollback transactions, to be able to resend messages. Any help or suggestions are welcome.
        juanemc2

Comment

Working...
        X