Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for feature - Visualisation of EIP models

Hi,

This is a potentially quite a substantial feature request but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. It's probably already occurred to the Spring team.

It would be really great to be able to visualise your EIP model just like it is possible to visualise a bean dependency graph and aspects. Presumably this would be a job for another Spring IDE module.

It's something that occurred to me when browsing through the example apps and also when thinking about my own use-cases. In order to grasp what an app is doing one has to read through the whole xml file and potentially all code files. If the developer has used a mixture of annotations and xml then it is even more tedious to go through everything to put together a diagram. In house we are going to try and put each distinct route in our EIP model into its own visio diagram to help better document the model. Also we are probably going to settle on using only the XML DSL as a convention as it is the most readable and representative of an EIP model.

Although it is absolutely great that SI provides three DSL formats - programmatic, annotations and xml - in awesome Spring fashion, so far, I've found that the best format for documenting an EIP model and conveying it to the next developer is to use the XML option plus optionally some visio diagrams.

Anyway, although quite tricky to achieve I thought this was one of the important considerations for maintainability and readability which could be inferred from the DSL based model.

Many thanks.

Narada,

I completely agree with you! I've seen the "tool" annotations in the schema so I'm really hoping the SI team already has this in mind.

-mike

Comment

It's a big one alright, but it fits perfectly with our strategy for STS. You can create an issue for this in the STS or Spring IDE Jira. If it gets votes and comments (like mashed up screens for what you'd like to see) it will surely help to speed this up.

Comment

Working...
      X