Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMS Inbound Gateway (RC1) -- bug or config problem?

In RC1, I'm using the JMS inbound gateway to get messages from a JMS queue and place them onto a channel:

<jms:inbound-gateway request-channel="eebChannel" connection-factory="connectionFactory" destination="p1"/>

However, after receiving a message it blocks waiting for a reply, even though I don't have a reply-channel set. The desired behavior would be for it to receive the message from the JMS queue (p1) and place it onto the eebChannel and not wait for a reply.

Is this a configuration problem on my part or a bug?

I noticed in the JmsInboundGateway code, it does the following inside the message listener onMessage() method:

Message<?> replyMessage = JmsInboundGateway.this.sendAndReceiveMessage(objec t);

Shouldn't it do:

JmsInboundGateway.this.send(object);

if there is no reply-channel specified?

In the M6 release, the JmsGateway apparently did either a 'send' or a 'sendAndReceive' depending on whether a reply was expected:

listener.setDefaultListenerMethod(this.expectReply ? "sendAndReceive" : "send");

But obviously I don't know the code well enough to say for sure...

Additional info.

I should add that I'm attempting to use the jms:inbound-gateway since I want a message-driven listener, not a polling listener, on the inbound JMS queue.

Is this appropriate? Is there a better way to do this without using the jms:inbound-gateway or the jms:inbound-channel-adapter since it polls?

Comment

This is the main question for sure. We need to provide one or the other - a "one-way" option for inbound gateway or an "event-driven" option for inbound-channel-adapter".

I am leaning toward an event-driven inbound-channel-adapter, b/c the distinction we are trying to make between "channel-adapter" and "gateway" is that the former is one-way and the latter is for request/reply.

This would also be consistent with the inbound Mail support where we have a polling "inbound-channel-adapter" but also an "imap-idle-channel-adapter" that is event-driven.

What do you think?

Comment

Options

I agree with you. An event-driven jms:inbound-channel-adapter seems like the right thing to do, and it would preserve the semantic difference you want to maintain between the channel-adapter and gateway.

Do you think this is something that can be provided in the 1.0 release?

Comment

Yes, I think we should include this in 1.0 if at all possible. Would you mind opening an issue in JIRA?

Comment

Sure, I'll do that shortly.

Comment

I've added this to JIRA: INT-477

(URL not included since I'm a newbie ).

Comment

Thank you.

For others who are interested in watching this issue, here is the link:
                http://jira.springframework.org/browse/INT-477

Comment

Added a vote in Jira, i have the exact same use-case.

Comment

Similar use case

I have a similar use case, but jms:inbound-gateway is unsuitable for even more reasons:

* I am connecting to a pubsub instead of a queue, I don't see a way to configure the inbound gateway using the xml tag for connecting to pubsubs.

* I have some advanced options that I need to specify in DefaultMessageListenerContainer, specifically, I need to specify cacheLevel, exceptionListener, recoveryInterval, subscriptionDurable, pubSubDomain

* I have my own class derived from DefaultMessageListenerContainer that I use to override some behavior.

I think a simple solution would be to allow me to specify the MessageListenerContainer that I want to use.

So my request is, if you are going to add the capability to jms:inbound-channel-adapter to do event-driven messaging, go all the way and allow me to specify the MessageListenerContainer, for both jms:inbound-channel-adapter and jms:inbound-gateway

I opened INT-482 for this (can not post url ).

Comment

The URL is: http://jira.springframework.org/browse/INT-482

As far as the pubsub configuration, the 'request-destination' can be any JMS Destination reference (Queue or Topic). Have you tried setting that for a Topic?

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, and by looking at the code, it will only try to resolve Topics if isPubSubDomain is set.

so I am not sure what to put in request-destination to make it look for a topic without specifying isPubSubDomain.

But even if I do, I still need to make it a durable subscription and use some of the other advanced parameters in DefaultMessageListenerContainer.

Comment

If you are providing a Destination reference, it does not need the 'pubSubDomain' value. That is only necessary when it is resolving a destination-name.

However, it is true that we need to enable setting that boolean value alongside destination-name to ensure that Topics can be used when resolving by name.

Comment

My destinations are by name, I do not have Destination objects set up in JNDI, so I am relying on DynamicDestinationResolver.

Comment

OK. I will be sure to include the addition of 'pub-sub-channel' when tackling the issue. Out of curiosity, what JMS provider are you using?

Comment

Working...
                              X