Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse Birt + Spring

Hi,

I am newbie in spring framwork. Can any body tell me how I can integrate eclipse BIRT with spring framework. or give me tutorial link.

Thanks..

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do?

Comment

birt+jboss...

Thanks for reply..

I want to make a web report.. User select some values, on the base of these values Birt generate report.. and please also tell me how birt report deploy in jboss server..

Thanks

Comment

Well, I wonder what that have to do with SI, you should ask that probably in a BIRT forum [1] or at other BIRT resources [2].

Also you can see how to deploy it on Tomcat in [3], in JBoss will be practically the same. And also, the example app that you can see in [4] or [5] do exactly what you want.

But all of that is not related to SI, though.

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Eclipse-BIRT-f2267.html
        [2] http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/community.php
        [3] http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2...ying-birt.html
        [4] http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/...erUsage2.2.php
        [5] http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/deploy/
        Last edited by amsmota; Mar 12th, 2008, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Hi all, I actually need to use BIRT within SI to generate some reports, has anyone wired BIRT into SI as yet?

Comment

Using SI in your application shouldn't have any effect on implementing BIRT. You just have to make sure that the logic for calling the reporting engine is abstracted away from the messaging endpoint.

In the case of a web-based application, your front controller would submit a request to a message channel which would be received by an endpoint. That endpoint would then call to the object that invokes BIRT. This is simplified, of course, but the point is that the use of SI should have no bearing. If you remove SI from the equation, then the controller would call to the reporting facade which would then call the BIRT engine.

Hope this helps,

Sol

Comment

cool, yes agreed, I was hoping for some assistance on how to package and wire it, so that it is abstracted, but it looks like I'm figuring it out. I will post spring context xml and java classes in here once I'm done. I am basically defining the Birt Platform and engine in a simple bean with a startup and shutdown and a getPlatform(), which I will define as a bean in Spring context xml and inject it into my service layer. Should work fine. thanx

Comment

Originally posted by dudleygb View Post
                cool, yes agreed, I was hoping for some assistance on how to package and wire it, so that it is abstracted, but it looks like I'm figuring it out. I will post spring context xml and java classes in here once I'm done. I am basically defining the Birt Platform and engine in a simple bean with a startup and shutdown and a getPlatform(), which I will define as a bean in Spring context xml and inject it into my service layer. Should work fine. thanx
                Have you had any progress and success? I am looking to do the same but I am a novice with Spring and a little lost. Do you have any sample configuration that you can share?

TIA,
                Shinan

Comment

Originally posted by shinank View Post
                  Have you had any progress and success? I am looking to do the same but I am a novice with Spring and a little lost. Do you have any sample configuration that you can share?

TIA,
                  Shinan

here's what I did:

Code:
                  	<bean id="reportGenerator" class="com.example.ReportGeneratorBIRTImpl" init-method="initEngine">
                  		<property name="engineHomePath" value="${birt.engineHomePath}"/>
                  		<property name="engineLogPath" value="${birt.engineLogPath}"/>
                  	</bean>
                  where initEngine() has all the engine spin-up code:

Code:
                  	private void initEngine() {
                  		EngineConfig config = new EngineConfig();
                  		config.setEngineHome(getEngineHomePath());
                  		config.setLogConfig(getEngineLogPath(), Level.SEVERE);

try {
                  			Platform.startup(config);
                  		} catch (BirtException e) {
                  		}

IReportEngineFactory factory = (IReportEngineFactory)Platform.createFactoryObject(IReportEngineFactory.EXTENSION_REPORT_ENGINE_FACTORY);
                  		engine = factory.createReportEngine(config);		
                  	}
                  hope this help

Comment

Working...
                  X