X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svn up issue?

Starting last night, I started getting the following error when updating. Tried a fresh checkout and got the same error...still investingating. Using command line svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521).

Code:
    Fetching external item into 'spring-build'
    svn: Can't check path 'spring-build\scripts\project-gen\templates\documentation\src\<%= project_name %>.xml': The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Hi,

I was successful in running:

Code:
    svn update https://src.springframework.org/svn/spring-integration/trunk <path-to-local-folder>
    Everything seemed ok, but it might have been a temporary issue. Please let me know if that worked.

Thanks,
    Marius

Comment

thanks for checking and i'll keep digging on my end...strange given updates have been working fine until now...

Comment

Marius,

What's your full path to the dir containing your working copy?

I thought I had run afoul of my "don't do development using dirs with spaces (My Documents)" rule but I just got the same error when doing a checkout to a top-level dir on another partition.

Looks like it's time to head over to the Subversion mailing list

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Marius,

When you get a spare moment, would you mind seeing if a fresh checkout to another dir works for you? (just to double check to case where the "file" below doesn't exist in the local working copy and needs to be pulled from the main repo.)

I'm trying to find the source (actual file, replacement pattern in a template, ??) of the following and haven't found it my local SVN repo, the Spring Integration SVN repo, or the main Spring CVS repo:

'spring-build\scripts\project-gen\templates\documentation\src\<%= project_name %>.xml'

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I checked again and I think I understand the nature of the problem. There is a file named <%= project_name %>.xml (recently added) in the external dependency named spring-build on which our project is based, which works fine with *nix filesystems, but causes problems with Windows. You should be able to retrieve the sources safely (the external dependencies are retrieved last), but the external-dependency to spring-build will be retrieved only partially.
            Therefore, building from a Windows machine will be affected for some short time now. Fixing this issue is going to take several days, but, meanwhile, you should be able at least to update the sources on your machine. That being said, the m2 build is based on the same set of sources as the update, so that should alleviate this temporary inconvenience. Alternately, updating/building from a *nix machine (Linux, Mac, etc.) should work.

Regards,
            Marius

Comment

Marius,

Thanks for the details and I understand. I should have said up front I was using an older Win2K system rather than my Ubuntu laptop to do testing. As my paying job is focused on integrating with limited capability legacy systems, I'm most interested in how things work in a more limited setup.

Although what you say makes sense, I'm no expert on SVN but I'm a bit concerned that Subversion would have this platform path naming issue given their use of the APR. I really think this is an SVN issue rather than a Spring issue and should be brought up on the SVN list so they're aware.

Off topic as this isn't the SVN list, but I'm happy to bring it up on their list if needed. Contact me privately if we need to continue this discussion.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I just wanted to clarify something: you can download the milestone build (m2) and use it as is for testing on any machine, including on Win2K. This build version has practically the latest code.
                As a reminder, the link is here:
                http://static.springframework.org/do...hp?project=INT
                The problem appears only when you update from SVN and try to build the distribution from there, by yourself. You can even update/build on Ubuntu and use the distribution on your Windows machine.

Good luck,
                Marius

Comment

Understood.

I'm offbase on thinking this is a Subversion issue...the filename contains Win32 reserved chars http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247.aspx

Comment

What's the latest thoughts on when the build dependencies will be updated to re-enable building from Windows systems?

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

A recent fix should have solved the problem. Please do an update and retry.

Marius

Comment

Marius,

The following worked perfect:

Code:
                        cd spring-integration-core
                        ant jar

cd ..\spring-integration-adapters
                        ant jar

cd ..\spring-integration-reference
                        ant doc-html
                        fyi...when I had another ivy jar in my local Ant lib dir, Ant bombed in ivy.init with spring-build\common\common.xml (line 65) and spring-build\common\ivysettings.xml giving the message "impossible to define new type: class not found: org.springframework.aws.ivy.S3Resolver in [] nor Ivy classloader." I removed my local ivy jar from Ant's lib, and things worked great

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Seems there may be another issue with files in SVN again. On a WinXP machine I try the following after deleting everything from a previous 'svn up' failure:

Code:
                          svn co https://src.springframework.org/svn/spring-integration/trunk .
                          and am rewarded with

Code:
                          ... <some files downloaded> ...
                          A org.springframework.integration.adapter\src\test\java\org\springframework\integration\adapter\jms\config\jmsSourceWithDestinationAndDefaultConnectionFactory.xml
                          svn: Your .svn/tmp directory may be missing or corrupt; run 'svn cleanup' and try again
                          svn: Can't open file 'org.springframework.integration.adapter\src\test\java\org\springframework\integration\adapter\jms\config\.svn\tmp\text-base\jmsSourceWithDestinationNameAndDefaultConnectionFactory.xml.svn-base':
                          The system cannot find the path specified.
                          Would you double-check on your end to ensure it's not the Win32 filename issue that caused the problem last time?

Jon
                          Last edited by jmaken; May 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

anyone from SI checking into this?...tried 'svn up' and 'svn co' (v1.4.6) again today on both Win2K and WinXP systems and got the same failure.

Comment

Working...
                            X