Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
SI chain does not return response (Soap UI) sometimes due to Task executor Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI chain does not return response (Soap UI) sometimes due to Task executor

I have the following chain setup:

Inbound Gateway > Primary Channel (with dispatcher task-executor) > ... (splitters, routers etc..) > Aggregator > Response Channel.

We are testing using SOAP UI.
    Before the task-executor was added, we would consistently get the responses.
    Since it was added, we do not get responses in the following cases:
    1. Initial request. When first request is fired, it starts up hibernate session and slows down for a few seconds. Results in 0 byte response. It does not wait for all the processing to complete.
    2. A debugging point was added in one of the chain components. Results in 0 byte response.

This does not seem to be an issue when executing the tests programmatically. Is this a particular quirk with SOAP UI?
    As soon as I remove the task-executor, it works consistently. Task executor is in place to support multiple requests being handled simultaneously. Please let me know why this is happening.

Thanks.

With async processing downstream, the gateway only waits 1 second, by default, for the reply.

You can increase this with the reply-timeout attribute (milliseconds).

Comment

However, with a web (WS) based gateway, you really don't need to go async because each request will come in on a web container thread - the concurrency is managed by the web container.

Comment

Hi!

You shold understand, that introducing task-executor to your message flow breaks it to several threads, so your hibernate session won't be avaliable within those threads - it is thread-scoped proxy by nature.
        Nevertheless, can you show your config here? Minimize it, please, to localize the issue and show.

Take care,
        Artem

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Russell View Post
          With async processing downstream, the gateway only waits 1 second, by default, for the reply.
          You can increase this with the reply-timeout attribute (milliseconds).
          This is very useful to know!
          Originally posted by Gary Russell View Post
          However, with a web (WS) based gateway, you really don't need to go async because each request will come in on a web container thread - the concurrency is managed by the web container.
          Alright, I just tried this again and it is indeed working as described. I think my initial test for this was faulty, I did not actually notice that it is a separate thread for each request I sent. That's what I expected from the get go, but my test mislead me. In any case this was not a waste of time, it is alright, as I got an introduction to task-executor, which we might need to use for parallel processing of request contents in the future.
          Thanks.

Originally posted by Cleric View Post
          Hi!

You shold understand, that introducing task-executor to your message flow breaks it to several threads, so your hibernate session won't be avaliable within those threads - it is thread-scoped proxy by nature.
          Nevertheless, can you show your config here? Minimize it, please, to localize the issue and show.

Take care,
          Artem
          I understand about breaking messages into threads, that's what I wanted to achieve, but since the app container manages it for me, then I can skip on task-executor for this use case.
          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X