X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose coupling of producer / consumer

I was wondering if there is a standard way to implement a loose coupling between two channels.

All xml configuration currently seems to require that you declare message input and/or output. Or it creates a direct channel.

I'm trying to design something a less coupled together. Channel A receives or produces a message, transforms it, etc..,
    then passes it off to ?something-spring-integration? where channel b is able to pick it up and do its thing. All without actually declaring the a->b flow in xml.

[channel a]* >>?>> [channel b]

In my case this would be useful where channel-a's could be spun up at runtime due to some user input. There could be multiple channel-a's as well.

I can imagine doing this with some service activators and java code between a and b. But was wondering what the best-practices approach is.
    Last edited by absurd; May 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM.

Hi!

At aglance looks like you are looking for that what Spring XD will provide: https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-xd/wiki/_pages
    https://github.com/SpringSource/spring-xd/issues/1

However if you provide a bit more info, maybe we can say something else.
    Maybe is it enough for you to use File Exchange, Shared DB, or some MQ?..

Cheers,
    Artem

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks you for your repy.

So it does sounds like I need some kind of data-store between prodcuing-channel-A and consuming-channel-B, that was my initial thought after reading the Refernce, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I dont have much in terms of specifics yet, as Im currently in the process of drawing box diagrams, and selecting technologies.

But at high level channel-A will be polling for an image from a feed configured by a user. There could be multiple feed sources, so multiple channel-A's.

Channel -B in my case will be the internal system transform channel, it will be responsible for resizing the image(s), storing a copy as well as meta data in a persistent store. etc...

I was also hoping that this decoupling of A & B would give a me a well defined horizontal scaling point. Where channel A on one node, or even multiple nodes will push image messages into a distributed queue (Redis queue perhaps?), while channel B on a completely different node (or multiple nodes) would end up consuming from the queue.

Any thoughts? Whats a good solution here for holding messaging between A & B?

Code:

CHANNEL    CHANNEL
                 A          A
                 |          |
                 |          |
                 v          v
       ?disitributed queue/big data/redis/XD?
                 |          |
                 |          |
                 v          v
                   CHANNEL B
      I read up on XD in your links, but wasnt sure what advantage it gives over a straight data solution, such Terracotta for example. I did like the concept of sinks and taps though, I think they illustrate what Im looking for here. Basicaly I need a sink for channel A, which can have a tap for channel B
      Last edited by absurd; May 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Whats a good solution here for holding messaging between A & B?
        I'm using RabbitMQ as a middleware and AMQP-adapters to access it from my aaplications.

Comment

Great, spasibo/thanks for your advice, RabbitMQ seems like precisely the solution I was looking for here.

Kills two birds with one stone for me, allows A/B decoupling, and an out-of-the box scalability cross cut. Given that I can abstract rabbit behind AMPQ, I'm not even locked in to that solution if I ever want to change vendors, although given rabbit's clustering, mirrored queues, etc can't imagine I'd ever need to.

[channelA] -----> (AMPQ / RabbitMQ) -----> [channelB]

Comment

Working...
          X