X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMX and TESTNG in a spring integration project

We are using Spring Integration in our project and we have made a lot of progress with it. The project works as expected and all the unit tests pass. At this point we want to introduce monitoring for all our channels etc. When I skip the unit tests using -Dmaven.test.skip=true, and add the following 2 line configuration in my integration-context file, the application woks as expected. I see all the mbeans and associated information on VisualVM.

My jmx configurations are:
    <context:mbean-server/>
    <int-jmx:mbean-export id="integrationMBeanExporter" default-domain="spring.application"/>

However, with these configurations when I do the build without skipping the tests, the build(Unit tests) fail.

I get the following stack trace:

[2013-04-10 21:41:21,822] main org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManage r ERROR Caught exception while allowing TestExecutionListener [org.springframework.test.context.support.Dependenc yInjectionTestExecutionListener@7f9360e7] to prepare test instance [com.otpp.dossier.integration.ComputerErrorTest@335 89e56]
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load ApplicationContext
    at org.springframework.test.context.CacheAwareContext LoaderDelegate.loadContext(CacheAwareContextLoader Delegate.java:99)
    at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.getAp plicationContext(TestContext.java:122)
    at org.springframework.test.context.support.Dependenc yInjectionTestExecutionListener.injectDependencies (DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.java:109 )
    at org.springframework.test.context.support.Dependenc yInjectionTestExecutionListener.prepareTestInstanc e(DependencyInjectionTestExecutionListener.java:75 )
    at org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManage r.prepareTestInstance(TestContextManager.java:312)
    at org.springframework.test.context.testng.AbstractTe stNGSpringContextTests.springTestContextPrepareTes tInstance(AbstractTestNGSpringContextTests.java:13 0)

Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanNotOfRequire dTypeException: Bean named 'bufferInputChannel' must be of type [org.springframework.integration.channel.QueueChann el], but was actually of type [$Proxy29]
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract BeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:361 )
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract BeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:198)
    at org.springframework.context.annotation.CommonAnnot ationBeanPostProcessor.autowireResource(CommonAnno tationBeanPostProcessor.java:442)
    at org.springframework.context.annotation.CommonAnnot ationBeanPostProcessor.getResource(CommonAnnotatio nBeanPostProcessor.java:416)
    at org.springframework.context.annotation.CommonAnnot ationBeanPostProcessor$ResourceElement.getResource ToInject(CommonAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:55 0)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.Injec tionMetadata$InjectedElement.inject(InjectionMetad ata.java:150)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.Injec tionMetadata.inject(InjectionMetadata.java:87)
    at org.springframework.context.annotation.CommonAnnot ationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessPropertyValues(C ommonAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:303)

Please note all the test cases and the application functions perfectly without jmx. Also the jmx works perfectly when i skip my unit tests. We are using TestNG in our project. The results are same with Junits.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

When you expose SI components using JMX, they are wrapped in a proxy. This means these elements can only be accessed (injected) by the interfaces they implement.

So, instead of @Autowiring QueueChannel, trying using PollableChannel instead (which is the primary interface that QueueChannel implements).

It is always best practice (with DI/Spring) to refer to objects using interfaces so applications are not tightly coupled to particular implementations.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Gary Russell; Apr 10th, 2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks Gary. I have now replaced all the queueChannel to PollableChannel and DirectChannel to SubscribableChannel. That solves the above error. However, in the test setup method I was adding interceptors via java code to these channels. I listen to these test channels(added as interceptors) to determine the success of the unit test.
      Because the interfaces do not have the addInterceptor method, I need to now type cast them. And if I do that, I end up with the same error.

FAILED CONFIGURATION: @BeforeClass testChannelSetup
      java.lang.ClassCastException: $Proxy28 cannot be cast to org.springframework.integration.channel.AbstractMe ssageChannel

here is my test setup method:

@BeforeClass()
      public void testChannelSetup() {
      ((AbstractMessageChannel) computerResponseChannel).addInterceptor(new WireTap(testComputerResponseChannel));
      ((QueueChannel) dossierInputChannel).addInterceptor(new WireTap(testDossierInputChannel));
      ((DirectChannel) errorChannel).addInterceptor(new WireTap(testErrorChannel));
      }

Similarly before each test in this class I clear the channels using this method.

@AfterMethod
      public void testChannelClear() {
      ((QueueChannel) testComputerResponseChannel).clear();
      ((QueueChannel) testDossierInputChannel).clear();
      ((QueueChannel) testErrorChannel).clear();
      }

Do you see any other way to achieve this?

Thanks.
      Last edited by rearden; Apr 11th, 2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

We should probably expose some of those methods on the proxy; feel free to open an 'Improvement' JIRA ticket.

It's a little ugly, but you can get a reference to the underlying channel...

Code:
        if (AopUtils.isAopProxy(theChannel)) {
        	Object target = ((Advised) theChannel).getTargetSource().getTarget();
        	if (target instanceof AbstractMessageChannel) {
        		((AbstractMessageChannel) target).setInterceptors(...);
        	}
        }

Comment

That code snippet works for the time being! I will create the JIRA and post the link. Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

Comment

Well now the individual unit tests pass. However the build still does not go through. This is the error i get:

[2013-04-11 14:31:31,785] main org.springframework.test.context.TestContextManage r ERROR Caught exception while allowing TestExecutionListener [org.springframework.test.context.support.Dependenc yInjectionTestExecutionListener@2bb64b70] to prepare test instance [com.otpp.dossier.buffer.endpoint.ComputerRequestGe neratorTest@33589e56]
            java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to load ApplicationContext
            at org.springframework.test.context.CacheAwareContext LoaderDelegate.loadContext(CacheAwareContextLoader Delegate.java:99)
            at org.springframework.test.context.TestContext.getAp plicationContext(TestContext.java:122)
            Caused by: org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextExce ption: Failed to start bean 'integrationMBeanExporter'; nested exception is org.springframework.jmx.export.UnableToRegisterMBe anException: Unable to register MBean [MessageChannelMonitor: [name=computerResponseChannel, sends=0, receives=0]] with key 'spring.application:type=MessageChannel,name=compu terResponseChannel'; nested exception is javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: spring.application:type=MessageChannel,name=comput erResponseChannel
            at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecyc leProcessor.doStart(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java :170)
            at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecyc leProcessor.access$200(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.j ava:51)
            Caused by: org.springframework.jmx.export.UnableToRegisterMBe anException: Unable to register MBean [MessageChannelMonitor: [name=computerResponseChannel, sends=0, receives=0]] with key 'spring.application:type=MessageChannel,name=compu terResponseChannel'; nested exception is javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: spring.application:type=MessageChannel,name=computerResponseChannel
            at org.springframework.jmx.export.MBeanExporter.regis terBeanNameOrInstance(MBeanExporter.java:602)
            at org.springframework.integration.monitor.Integratio nMBeanExporter.registerChannels(IntegrationMBeanEx porter.java:774)
            Caused by: javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: spring.application:type=MessageChannel,name=comput erResponseChannel
            at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.Repository.addMBean(Reposi tory.java:453)
            at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerIntercep tor.internal_addObject(DefaultMBeanServerIntercept or.java:1484)
            at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerIntercep tor.registerDynamicMBean(DefaultMBeanServerInterce ptor.java:963)

Every time I execute the build, I get the same stack trace with a different channel name(highlighted in red) defined in our integration-context.xml. The build goes through when I have just one unit test class. This proves that these beans are getting retained between test classes when i use JMX, and when Spring tries to re-initialize the same channels for the second test class it fails.

Any way I can get rid of this error?

Thanks.
            Last edited by rearden; Apr 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

This has been fixed by adding the following to each of the test cases.

@Autowired
              ApplicationContext context;

@AfterClass
              public void destroy() {
              ((GenericApplicationContext) context).close();
              }

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X