Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EAI: Content Based Filter with Spring Integration

Hi there,

I am trying to implement simple content based router using Spring integration and cannot figure out what should be the right way.

Case
    On input channel I receive a simple XML message
    HTML Code:
    <passenger>
        <name>John</name>
        <age>28</age>
    </passenger>
    Based on the age value i want to determine whether a passenger is infant, child or adult, and direct message to a corresponding channel, i.e. infantChannel, childChannel or adultChannel. I want to use XPath to define conditions of the content based filter, since it is XML message.

Apache Camel Solution
    With Apache Camel it is rather straight forward

HTML Code:
    <route>
        <from uri="file:src/test/resources/message?noop=true"/>
        <choice>
            <when>
                <xpath>/passenger/age &lt;= '1'</xpath>
                <log message="INFANT"/>
            </when>
            <when>
                <xpath>/passenger/age &gt; '1' and /passenger/age &lt;= '12'</xpath>
                <log message="CHILD"/>
            </when>
            <when>
                <xpath>/passenger/age &gt; '12'</xpath>
                <log message="ADULT"/>
            </when>
            <otherwise>
                <log message="ERROR"/>
            </otherwise>
        </choice>
    </route>
    Spring Integration Solution
    Well... I wasn't able to figure out and run out of patience. That is why I am writing to this forum.

It was logical to use <xpath-router>, but based on the documentation the output channels are determined dynamically based on the result of the XPath expression.

What I am trying to do is the following
    HTML Code:
    <si-xml:xpath-router id="passengerRouter" input-channel="passengerChannel" resolution-required="true" >
        <si-xml:xpath-expression expression="/passenger/age"/>
    </si-xml:xpath-router>
    Based on the doc, the XPath expressions are evaluated as NODESET and converter to list of strings, where every value of this list represents a channel name to which this message will be sent. In my case this will be just a list of integers from <age> message element and this this is not what I want. I just have four channels I want the message to be sent to.

So, my question is how to configure <xpath-router> to implement my case?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by opatopa; Nov 4th, 2012, 06:07 AM.

The xpath router (currently) routes on the value, or a channel mapped from the value. It currently doesn't support conditional routing based on the value of the xpath expression. This would seem to me a useful enhancement; please open a new feature JIRA https://jira.springsource.org/browse/INT.

In the meantime, the following can be used:

Code:
    <int:chain input-channel="foo">
    	<int-xml:xpath-header-enricher>
    		<int-xml:header name="passengerAge" evaluation-type="NUMBER_RESULT" xpath-expression="/passenger/age" />
    	</int-xml:xpath-header-enricher>
    	<int:recipient-list-router>
    		<int:recipient channel="infant" selector-expression="headers['passengerAge'] le 1" />
    		<int:recipient channel="child" selector-expression="headers['passengerAge'] gt 1 and headers['passengerAge'] le 12" />
    		<int:recipient channel="adult" selector-expression="headers['passengerAge'] gt 12" />		
    	</int:recipient-list-router>
    </int:chain>
    Essentially, it evaluates the xpath expression once, and puts the result in a header; the selector-expressions in the RLR then routes to the appropriate channel based on the header value.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Gary, that helped indeed. Even though, from EIP point of view Recipient List is slightly different pattern then Content Based Router (more precisely its subset), I was able to see how it is implemented using Spring Integration.

I have created a JIRA task: https://jira.springsource.org/browse/INT-2808

Comment

Working...
      X