Questions about contributing code Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about contributing code

I've forked Spring Integration, and I'm looking at making some changes that I can hopefully pull request back to the main repo. I have a few questions about things like test style, preferred dependencies, and the like. Is this the right place for questions like that? Is there a dev guide somewhere I should read first?

Yes; this is the right place.

Start here:

The Spring Framework guidelines talk some about code style:

Regarding testing and such, take a look at the existing test cases; there is a good mix of unit tests (mostly using Mockito) and integration tests.

Feel free to ask questions!

Thanks, that's a useful starting point. My most pressing question at this point is: "No Hamcrest?" With all pure Java unit tests, Hamcrest would do a lot to make failure messages more meaningful. Is it intentionally not used? Would it be appropriate for me to add and start using it in new tests I'm working on?

Yes. some tests use Hamcrest matchers. See the test module for the custom matchers (e.g. HeaderMatcher, PayloadMatcher).

They are not ubiquitous in the framework itself; but they probably should be used more. So, go ahead :-)