X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop and start consuming message from a queue MQ

Im running spring in websphere and connecting to MQ queues where I'm trying to stop consuming messages from a the queue between certain times. In order for me to do this I'm shutting down the queue listener and then starting it up, here is a snippet of my code.

Code:
    //defaultListenerContainer is an instance of org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer;
    defaultListenerContainer.shutdown();

new Timer().schedule(new TimerTask() {
    	public void run() {
                    defaultListenerContainer.initialize();
    	        defaultListenerContainer.start();
    	}}, delay);
    }
    The problem is when it starts back up I won't receive any message unless I explicit create a new connection. like so
    Code:
    defaultListenerContainer.getConnectionFactory().createConnection().start();
    With the connection created I can consume messages but, when I monitor the connection pool in websphere, I notice this connection is not returned back to the pool, causing a leak.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

P.S.. Websphere will not allow me to call stop on the listener. i.e
    Code:
    defaultListenerContainer.stop()
    websphere says stop is not allowed. Further research I found on the IBM website saying I can't call this command in a j2ee container.

Websphere will not allow me to call stop on the listener.
    Not sure what you mean by that; you should call stop() not shutdown(). WAS doesn't know anything about the DMLC.

When running in WAS, be sure to use a WorkManagerTaskExecutor and/or TimerMnagerTaskScheduler rather than any other kind of TE or TS - WAS doesn't allow arbitrary thread creation.

Comment

wow super quick response thanks

This is the debug message I get When I call stop().
      DEBUG mySchedular-1 org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageLis tenerContainer - Ignoring Connection stop exception - assuming already stopped: javax.jms.IllegalStateException: Method stop not permitted

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-getmess/ This page talks about restricted methods see "J2EE restrictions on JMS usage"

I will try your suggestion and report back.

Comment

Right; but that message is coming out under DEBUG only; it's just saying the container is ignoring the connection.stop() call - because WAS might share it with other apps.

Just ignore it.

Comment

Perfect, using spring taskschedule did the trick and calling stop and start worked as expected. Thanks for your help.

Code:
          @Scheduled(cron="${schedule.from}")
          public void process() {

provisionerListenerContainer.stop();

taskScheduler.schedule(new Runnable() {
          		public void run() {
          			 provisionerListenerContainer.start();
          		}
          	}, DateUtils.addMilliseconds(new Date(), delay.intValue()));
          }

Comment

Working...