• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help about SpEL expression

Hi all,

in my scenario the header could contain a 'customer attribute' MessageId:

Code:
    [Headers={timestamp=1339161965407, id=..., JMSXDeliveryCount=1, jms_type=bp_list, jms_timestamp=1339161963190, jms_redelivered=false, MessageId=..., jms_messageId=...}]
    That 'customer attribute' is not mandatory so in some cases is not present.
    I would like to use it around my spring context file when I want to trace the incoming request:

Code:
        <!--  Dispatch message -->
        <file:outbound-gateway directory="file:${unmatchedMessageType.directory}"
            request-channel="unmatchedMessageTypeChannel" reply-channel="generatedFileChannel"
            filename-generator-expression="'${queue.jndi.name}' + '_' + headers.MessageId + '.xml'"/>
    When MessageId is not present I would like to use instead headers.jms_messageId.
    So the logic should be: if headers contains MessageId use it else use jms_messageId.

I was not able to code that logic directly into a SpEL expression so I wrote a simple bean that exposes a method for doing that (public String retrieveId(MessageHeaders headers)).

Then I tried to use the bean in my spring context file

Code:
        <!-- Helper beans -->
        <beans:bean id="messageIdentifier" class="ch.integration.jms.listener.model.MessageIdentifier"/>

<!--  Dispatch message -->
        <file:outbound-gateway directory="file:${unmatchedMessageType.directory}"
            request-channel="unmatchedMessageTypeChannel" reply-channel="generatedFileChannel"
            filename-generator-expression="'${queue.jndi.name}' + '_' + @messageIdentifier.retrieveId(headers) + '.xml'"/>
    But I got below error:

Code:
    Caused by: org.springframework.expression.spel.SpelEvaluationException: EL1057E:(pos 49): No bean resolver registered in the context to resolve access to bean 'messageIdentifier'
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.BeanReference.getValueInternal(BeanReference.java:45)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.CompoundExpression.getValueInternal(CompoundExpression.java:52)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.OpPlus.getValueInternal(OpPlus.java:63)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.OpPlus.getValueInternal(OpPlus.java:62)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.OpPlus.getValueInternal(OpPlus.java:62)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.SpelNodeImpl.getValue(SpelNodeImpl.java:93)
            at org.springframework.expression.spel.standard.SpelExpression.getValue(SpelExpression.java:93)
            at org.springframework.integration.handler.LoggingHandler.handleMessageInternal(LoggingHandler.java:105)
            at org.springframework.integration.handler.AbstractMessageHandler.handleMessage(AbstractMessageHandler.java:73)
            ... 41 more
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Geetings
    nuvola

I think you are asking about Ternary operator with SpEL http://static.springsource.org/sprin....html#d0e12040
    Let us know if that helped

Comment

Thanks for the link about Ternary operator with SpEL.

I'm trying to use it as below:

Code:
          <int:logging-channel-adapter channel="bpListMessageTypeResultChannel"
              expression="'#### [Channel=bpListMessageTypeChannel][***' + (headers.MessageId != null) ? headers.MessageId : headers.jms_messageId + '][Headers=' + headers + '][Payload=' + payload + ']'"
            level="INFO"/>
      but I got a type conversion problem so my above syntax is wrong ...

Code:
      Caused by: org.springframework.expression.spel.SpelEvaluationException: EL1001E:(pos 0): Type conversion problem, cannot convert from java.lang.String to java.lang.Boolean
      An additional question. I need to use the same Ternary operator expression in more places in my spring context file, is there a way to store the result of the expression into a variable and reference it in the spring context file where it is needed ?

Thanks and regards
      nuvola

Comment

Hello

If you do this:
        Code:
        headers.MessageId != null ? headers.MessageId : headers.jms_messageId
        it's enough to use an "Elvis Operator": http://static.springsource.org/sprin....html#d0e12053

Code:
        headers.MessageId ?: headers.jms_messageId
        Also try to wrap it with () as it should be done before String concatenation. That's why you've catched SpelEvaluationException

But what is a problem to use with <logging-channel-adapter> attribute log-full-message="true" ?

is there a way to store the result of the expression into a variable
        Can you explain a bit more about use-case? If you plan to store result of SpEL around Message properties (payload & headers) it will be bad idea: Spring Integration has stateless programming model and invokes SpEL from 'expression' attributes at runtime for each Message.

Take care,
        Artem Bilan

Comment

Hi Artem,

your suggestion wrapping the expression with () works:

Code:
                  expression="'#### [Channel=bpListMessageTypeChannel][' + (headers.MessageId ?: headers.jms_messageId) + '][Headers=' + headers + '][Payload=' + payload + ']'"
                  level="INFO"/>
          but it seems it doesn't work in case of stored-proc-outbound-gateway ...
          I used the same expression in the below <int-jdbcarameter name="I_MSG_ID" expression="...":

Code:
              <int-jdbc:stored-proc-outbound-gateway request-channel="bpListMessageTypeChannel"
                                                     reply-channel="bpListMessageTypeResultChannel"
                                                     data-source="dataSource"
                                                     stored-procedure-name="${stored-procedure-name.bp}"
                                                     auto-startup="true"
                                                     ignore-column-meta-data="true">
                  <int-jdbc:sql-parameter-definition name="I_XML"
                                                     direction="IN"
                                                     type="VARCHAR"/>
                  <int-jdbc:sql-parameter-definition name="I_MSG_ID"
                                                     direction="IN"
                                                     type="VARCHAR"/>
                  <int-jdbc:sql-parameter-definition name="O_ERR_CODE"
                                                     direction="OUT"
                                                     type="INTEGER"/>
                  <int-jdbc:parameter name="I_XML" expression="payload"/>
                  <int-jdbc:parameter name="I_MSG_ID" expression="(headers.MessageId ?: headers.jms_messageId)"/>
          but I got

Code:
          Caused by: org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageException: Required input parameter 'I_MSG_ID' is missing
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.CallableStatementCreatorFactory$CallableStatementCreatorImpl.createCallableStatement(CallableStatementCreatorFactory.java:209)
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.execute(JdbcTemplate.java:947)
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.call(JdbcTemplate.java:1003)
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.AbstractJdbcCall.executeCallInternal(AbstractJdbcCall.java:388)
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.AbstractJdbcCall.doExecute(AbstractJdbcCall.java:351)
                  at org.springframework.jdbc.core.simple.SimpleJdbcCall.execute(SimpleJdbcCall.java:181)
                  at org.springframework.integration.jdbc.StoredProcExecutor.executeStoredProcedure(StoredProcExecutor.java:276)
                  at org.springframework.integration.jdbc.StoredProcExecutor.executeStoredProcedureInternal(StoredProcExecutor.java:267)
                  at org.springframework.integration.jdbc.StoredProcExecutor.executeStoredProcedure(StoredProcExecutor.java:247)
                  at org.springframework.integration.jdbc.StoredProcOutboundGateway.handleRequestMessage(StoredProcOutboundGateway.java:82)
                  at org.springframework.integration.handler.AbstractReplyProducingMessageHandler.handleMessageInternal(AbstractReplyProducingMessageHandler.java:97)
                  at org.springframework.integration.handler.AbstractMessageHandler.handleMessage(AbstractMessageHandler.java:73)
                  ... 28 more
          Instead it is ok if I use <int-jdbcarameter name="I_MSG_ID" expression="headers.MessageId"/>

Does the expression syntax change in case of stored-proc-outbound-gateway ?

Thanks and regards
          nuvola

Comment

OK.

Try this one:
            HTML Code:
            <int-jdbc:parameter name="I_MSG_ID" expression="headers['MessageId'] ?: headers['jms_messageId']"/>

Comment

This works if the headers contain the property 'MessageId' otherwise I got an error

Code:
              Caused by: org.springframework.expression.spel.SpelEvaluationException: EL1008E:(pos 54): Field or property 'MessageId' cannot be found on object of type 'org.springframework.integration.MessageHeaders'
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.PropertyOrFieldReference.readProperty(PropertyOrFieldReference.java:208)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.PropertyOrFieldReference.getValueInternal(PropertyOrFieldReference.java:72)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.CompoundExpression.getValueInternal(CompoundExpression.java:57)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.Elvis.getValueInternal(Elvis.java:44)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.OpPlus.getValueInternal(OpPlus.java:63)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.ast.SpelNodeImpl.getValue(SpelNodeImpl.java:93)
                      at org.springframework.expression.spel.standard.SpelExpression.getValue(SpelExpression.java:93)
                      at org.springframework.integration.handler.LoggingHandler.handleMessageInternal(LoggingHandler.java:105)
                      ... 41 more
              I'm trying to work around your suggestion ...

Comment

I still don't understand:
                if you change SpEL from beanPropety style to map style it should work.
                I've tested it before send you suggestion ;-).

So, I repeat: this should work:
                HTML Code:
                <int-jdbc:parameter name="I_MSG_ID" expression="headers['MessageId'] ?: headers['jms_messageId']"/>
                And in the <logging-channel-adapter> do the same, please

Comment

If I change from beanPropety style to map style in both stored-proc-outbound-gateway and logging-channel-adapter it works

Code:
                      <int-jdbc:stored-proc-outbound-gateway request-channel="bpListMessageTypeChannel"
                          <int-jdbc:parameter name="I_XML" expression="payload"/>
                      </int-jdbc:stored-proc-outbound-gateway>

<int:channel id="bpListMessageTypeResultChannel"/>

expression="'#### [Channel=bpListMessageTypeChannel][' + (headers['MessageId'] ?: headers['jms_messageId']) + '][Headers=' + headers + '][Payload=' + payload + ']'"
                          level="INFO"/>
                  If I change only in the stored-proc-outbound-gateway I got the error.

So as you suggested I changed in both :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X