Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Queue Channel backed by GemfireMessageStore restricted to LOCAL_PERSISTENT? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queue Channel backed by GemfireMessageStore restricted to LOCAL_PERSISTENT?

My team has recently been working on putting together a Spring Integration system that uses, as an error channel, a GemfireMessageStore-backed queue channel. Our initial attempts were to use a PROXY (failed miserably - all messages were dropped.) We then attempted a CACHING_PROXY. In the CACHING_PROXY model, the queue would work until the system failed, then when the system was brought back up, all of the messages resident in the GemfireMessageStore were subsequently dropped - unless we wrote to the GemfireMessageStore before it had emptied itself!)

It now appears that if we run with our GemfireMessageStore set to a LOCAL_PERSISTENT, things work out okay. However, this isn't really what we want to have happening. Ideally, we'd want the PROXY setup, and if that wouldn't work we'd want the CACHING_PROXY setup.

Which part of the picture are we not understanding, here?

Here are the relevant parts of the setup:

Code:
       <bean id="gemfireMessageStore" class="org.springframework.integration.gemfire.store.GemfireMessageStore">
          <constructor-arg ref="MessageStoreCache"/>
       </bean>

<int:channel id="failedDeliveryMessageStoreQueueChannel">
          <int:queue message-store="gemfireMessageStore"/>
       </int:channel>

<gfe:client-cache id="MessageStoreCache" pool-name="MessageStorePool"/>
       <gfe:client-region id="messageStoreRegion" cache-ref="MessageStoreCache" shortcut="LOCAL_PERSISTENT"/>

<gfe:pool id="MessageStorePool" subscription-enabled="true">
          <gfe:server host="localhost" port="40404"/>
       </gfe:pool>
    The 'int' ns is, of course, Spring Integration, and 'gfe' is Gemfire.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can look into this. Can you tell me what version of spring-gemfire and gemfire you are using?

Comment

You bet.

Spring-Gemfire: 1.1.1.RELEASE
      Gemfire: 6.6.2

Thx.

Comment

I assume you have the region 'messageStroreRegion' configured in the cache server? If so, how is it configured?

Comment

When attempting to use the PROXY and the CACHING_PROXY shortcuts, we did have the messageStoreRegion defined in the cache server. On the LOCAL_PERSISTENCE, no (as, if I'm not mistaken, it does not matter.)

Comment

When it was defined on the cache server, it was defined as:

Code:
            <?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE cache PUBLIC
              "-//GemStone Systems, Inc.//GemFire Declarative Caching 6.5//EN"
              "http://www.gemstone.com/dtd/cache6_5.dtd">
            <cache>

<cache-server port="40404"/>

<disk-store name="ds1" auto-compact="true" max-oplog-size="1024" queue-size="10000" time-interval="60">
                  <disk-dirs>
                     <disk-dir dir-size="4096">DatastoreDir</disk-dir>
                  </disk-dirs>
               </disk-store>

<region name="messageStoreRegion">
                  <region-attributes refid="REPLICATE_PERSISTENT" disk-store-name="ds1" disk-synchronous="false" scope="distributed-no-ack">
                  </region-attributes>
               </region>

</cache>

Comment

'PROXY' is what you ultimately want. This should maintain the state in the cache server and no messages should be lost. However when I set shortcut="PROXY" in your configuration , I get
              Code:
              Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: operation is not supported on a client cache
              	at com.gemstone.gemfire.internal.cache.GemFireCacheImpl.createRegionFactory(GemFireCacheImpl.java:4035)
              	at org.springframework.data.gemfire.RegionFactoryBean.lookupFallback(RegionFactoryBean.java:86)
              	at org.springframework.data.gemfire.RegionLookupFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(RegionLookupFactoryBean.java:59)
              	at org.springframework.data.gemfire.RegionFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(RegionFactoryBean.java:71)
              	at org.springframework.integration.gemfire.store.GemfireMessageStore.afterPropertiesSet(GemfireMessageStore.java:71)
              	... 40 more
              This is bug in GemfireMessageStore, due to Gemfire API changes introduced in 6.6.1. I will create a JIRA for it.

Comment

That is exactly the response we were getting!

Nice to hear that we're not completely crazy on this side.

Looking forward to the JIRA outcome.

Thanks.

Comment

Actually it would be more appropriate if you guys raise a JIRA since you've discovered a problem and you can link it to this forum to maintain traceability. https://jira.springsource.org/browse/INT

Thanks

Comment

https://jira.springsource.org/browse/INT-2552

Comment

Working...
                    X