Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Not able to fetch relationships of node using Spring Data Neo4J Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to fetch relationships of node using Spring Data Neo4J

Uploaded my test code on https://github.com/jonam/SpringDataGraphSample

If I uncomment line 85 in GraphEngineTest.java, it breaks, as the relationships are not being sent in the format that I can expect. I am currently using <spring-data-neo4j.version>2.1.0.RC2</spring-data-neo4j.version>. But this did not work with 2.0.1.RELEASE either. Also tried tweaking around with versions of other packages like spring, and neo4j but did not help.

The error I see is below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Test set: com.graph.bio.GraphEngineTest
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tests run: 4, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 12.256 sec <<< FAILURE!
    proteinRelationship(com.graph.bio.GraphEngineTest) Time elapsed: 0.585 sec <<< ERROR!
    java.lang.ClassCastException: org.springframework.data.neo4j.fieldaccess.GraphBa ckedEntityIterableWrapper cannot be cast to com.graph.bio.domain.ProteinInteraction
    at com.graph.bio.GraphEngineTest.proteinRelationship( GraphEngineTest.java:85)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runRefle ctiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:45)
    at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallabl e.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
    at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExpl osively(FrameworkMethod.java:42)
    at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod .evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements .RunBeforeTestMethodCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTe stMethodCallbacks.java:74)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements .RunAfterTestMethodCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTest MethodCallbacks.java:83)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements .SpringRepeat.evaluate(SpringRepeat.java:72)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUni t4ClassRunner.runChild(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.jav a:231)
    at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild( BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:47)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner. java:231)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRu nner.java:60)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentR unner.java:229)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRu nner.java:50)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRu nner.java:222)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements .RunBeforeTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunBeforeTes tClassCallbacks.java:61)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.statements .RunAfterTestClassCallbacks.evaluate(RunAfterTestC lassCallbacks.java:71)
    at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.ja va:300)
    at org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUni t4ClassRunner.run(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.java:174 )
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4TestSet.exe cute(JUnit4TestSet.java:53)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.ex ecuteTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:123)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.in voke(JUnit4Provider.java:104)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.util.ReflectionUtils.inv okeMethodWithArray(ReflectionUtils.java:164)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ProviderFactory$P roviderProxy.invoke(ProviderFactory.java:110)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.i nvokeProvider(SurefireStarter.java:175)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireStarter.r unSuitesInProcessWhenForked(SurefireStarter.java:1 07)
    at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main (ForkedBooter.java:68)

jonam_biz,

In your code you have

Code:
    @RelatedToVia(type = "INTERACTS_WITH", direction=Direction.BOTH)
    Collection<ProteinInteraction> proteinInteractions;

protein1.interactsWith(protein2, "phosphorylation");
    protein2.interactsWith(protein1, "phosphorylation");
    template.save(protein1);
    template.save(protein2);
    Now, because the annotation says Direction.BOTH, only one relationship is created. Is that desirable? Secondly, if it is, you can drop the reverse call of
    Code:
    template.save(protein2)

Also, for testing, you can use
    Code:
    <bean id="graphDatabaseService" class="org.neo4j.test.ImpermanentGraphDatabase"/>
    to ensure your tests are fast and isolated.

Does that help?

Lasse

Comment

Originally posted by lassewesth View Post
      jonam_biz,

In your code you have

Code:

template.save(protein1);
      template.save(protein2);
      Now, because the annotation says Direction.BOTH, only one relationship is created. Is that desirable? Secondly, if it is, you can drop the reverse call of
      Code:
      template.save(protein2)

Code:
      <bean id="graphDatabaseService" class="org.neo4j.test.ImpermanentGraphDatabase"/>

Does that help?

Lasse
      jonam_biz,

In your code you have

Code:

template.save(protein1);
      template.save(protein2);
      Code:
      template.save(protein2)

Code:

Does that help?

Lasse
      I dropped that call, and I got and endNode null error.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Null parameter, startNode=NodeImpl#3, endNode=null, type=DynamicRelationshipType[INTERACTS_WITH] at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.core.NodeManager.createRelat ionship(NodeManager.java:290) at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.core.NodeImpl.createRelation shipTo(NodeImpl.jav
      a:499)
      at org.neo4j.kernel.impl.core.NodeProxy.createRelatio nshipTo(NodeProxy.java:198)
      at org.springframework.data.neo4j.support.mapping.Ent ityStateHandler.createRelationship(EntityStateHand ler.java:131)

So I think you mean
      Code:
      protein2.interactsWith(protein1)
      ?
      I tried commenting that too:

https://github.com/jonam/SpringDataG...ngineTest.java

and I still get the original error that I got:

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.springframework.data.neo4j.fieldaccess.GraphBa ckedEntityIterableWrapper cannot be cast to com.graph.bio.domain.ProteinInteraction
      at com.graph.bio.GraphEngineTest.proteinRelationship( GraphEngineTest.java:85)

I made that change to use ImpermanentGraphDatabase. Committed all my changes. Still getting same errors as I said above.

Comment

Manoj,

Try using
        Code:
        @RelatedToVia(type = "INTERACTS_WITH", direction = BOTH)
        Set<ProteinInteraction> proteinInteractions = new HashSet<ProteinInteraction>(  );
        - that makes the test pass.

As to an explanation, I don't have a good one, what you are doing ought to work...

Lasse

Comment

Manoj,

Try using
          Code:
          @RelatedToVia(type = "INTERACTS_WITH", direction = BOTH)
          Set<ProteinInteraction> proteinInteractions = new HashSet<ProteinInteraction>(  );
          - that makes the test pass.

As to an explanation, I don't have a good one, what you are doing ought to work...

Lasse
          Fantastic! That worked. Thanks for your help. I have committed my fixes so others can use them on github if needed. Yeah, let me know if there was a way to skip the initialization in future. I would have expected that not requiring initialization. I also saw it was not done in the spring-data examples, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Manoj,

I can't explain why initializing the Set made a difference - you are quite right that shouldn't be necessary.

We did _just_ fix an issue with RelatedToVia mapping, so if you have spare time you could retest with the very latest SDN version...

Anyway, workaround in place, good luck!

Lasse

Comment

Manoj,

I can't explain why initializing the Set made a difference - you are quite right that shouldn't be necessary.

We did _just_ fix an issue with RelatedToVia mapping, so if you have spare time you could retest with the very latest SDN version...

Anyway, workaround in place, good luck!

Lasse
              I am already using spring-data-neo4j-2.1.0.RC2. Is there a newer release? I cannot find a newer one here:

http://repo.springsource.org/webapp/...ing-data-neo4j

Comment

There are snapshots, and RC3 is due out tomorrow-ish.

Lasse

Comment

Working...
                X