Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Spring Data Neo4j: How to map java.util.Map<String,String> field? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Data Neo4j: How to map java.util.Map<String,String> field?

Hello,

I have an relationship node class like this :

@RelationshipNode
    public class MyConnection {
    private String title;
    private long duration;
    private Map<String,String> attributes;
    }

When using Spring data Neo4J mapping layer, it naturally creates relationship nodes in Neo4j with keys "title" and "duration" corresponding to names of my class fields, but Map<String,String> field is not persisted. I would like those key-value entries in this Map to be also persisted inside this relationship node also as list of properties, but I understand the problem that I would have to distinguish this map field from other fields.

I could decide for eg. to add additional prefix, something like "fieldName_" + entry.getKey() for name of property.
    Is it possible somehow to add some loading/saving interceptor in Spring-Data-Neo4j lib so it can work when loading/persisting this class insatnces, or it's not possible so I would have to use low-level Neo4 API for that (Neo4JTemplate)? I don't like later because I don't know how elegant it would be to mix those two approaches in my application.

Regards,
    Vjeran

You would use the DynamicProperties instead of the Map which is then mapped to node-attributes.

See this test, on how to use it.

Code:
    @NodeEntity
    public class Person {
        @GraphId
    	private Long graphId;

private DynamicProperties personalProperties;
    	public void setProperty(String key, Object value) {
    		personalProperties.setProperty(key, value);
    	}

public Object getProperty(String key) {
    		return personalProperties.getProperty(key);
    	}
    }
    @Test
        public void testCreateOutsideTransaction() {
            Person p = new Person("James", 35);
            p.setProperty("s", "String");
            p.setProperty("x", 100);
            p.setProperty("pi", 3.1415);
            persist(p);
            assertEquals(3, IteratorUtil.count(p.getPersonalProperties().getPropertyKeys()));
            assertProperties(nodeFor(p));
            p.setProperty("s", "String two");
            persist(p);
            assertEquals("String two", nodeFor(p).getProperty("personalProperties-s"));
        }

Comment

Oh, great!
      Thanx.

Comment

I noticed a shortcoming with current way of persisting DynamicProperties - this map entries are stored with property names constructed with prefix (derived from DynamicProperties field name) and map key, separated by dash ("-"), and since dash is a special character inside Cypher, it is not simply possible to query these node properties by using query piece such as:

Code:
        node.prefix-mapkey
        , but one has to use quite unknown "backtick" character for quoting node property name, such as:
        Code:
        node.`prefix-mapkey`
        Therefore, I would suggest that separation character is underscore, which is not treated as special character as I know.

Regards,
        Vjeran

Comment

Good point,

can you raise an JIRA issue? for that

Better to make it configurable

Michael

Comment

Working...
          X