Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Structure of domain classes

Hi.

I am new to Spring, in particular Spring Data Neo4j, and despite some problems getting everything running I am very excited about what I see.

I have a question on code structure, that stems from me having absolutely no idea what is going on under the hood (and also from lack of experience). From all the examples I have seen, the domain have consisted of simple classes without any hierachy (apart from java.lang.Object, of course).

From what I have learned about software architecture, you should implement some interface in order to decouple your implementation. Also, I feel an urge to factor out whatever I can, and therefore thought I would make a class such as

Code:
    abstract class GraphEntity {
      @GraphId
      private Long nodeId;

@Override
      public boolean equals(Object o) {
        return o == this ||
          o != null
          && getClass() == o.getClass()
          && nodeId.equals(((GraphEntity) o).nodeId);
        }

@Override
      public int hashCode() {
        return nodeId != null ? nodeId.hashCode() : super.hashCode();
      }
    }
    This way I implement these two important methods once and for all, and at the same time encapsulate the node id.

All domain classes backed by a node or relationship would then inherit from this, and at the same time implement the respective domain interface, e.g.

Code:
    @NodeEntity
    public class MovieNode extends GraphEntity implements Movie {
    }
    I would put the interfaces in one package ([app].domain), and GraphEntity and the implementations in another one ([app].domain.impl)

What do you think? Pros/cons/better ways? Problems with the mapping system? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Regards, Michael.

This is sort of how I expected to structure my classes but after looking at the cineasts example it looks like they implemented it slightly different. Also interested in input.

Comment

Sounds good, cineasts is not focused on factoring everying out but on a simplistic approach that should be easier to follow.

You could even put the @NodeEntity annotation on you GraphEntity class.

Comment

Thanks for your input. If you put @NodeEntity on GraphEntity and find that you want a relationship entity, will the @RelationshipEntity annotation on the extending class then override @NodeEntity?

Comment

That is a good question. I think they will just clash and create an indeterministic scenario.

What is it you want to achieve?

Comment

I wanted to use GraphEntity as the base for both node- and relationship wrappers. So I guess I should annotate the extending classes instead of GraphEntity?

Comment

Yep, I think that is safest and also semantically more correct.

You can always choose to mix-in interfaces with the correct annotation which should also work.

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X