Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
MongoEventListener: unresolvable circular reference when referencing mongoTemplate Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MongoEventListener: unresolvable circular reference when referencing mongoTemplate

I am trying to use the Mongo Lifecycle Event support provided by Spring Data ( http://static.springsource.org/sprin...g-usage.events ) and am having problems when I attempt to have my event listener be injected with a reference to either a mongoTemplate or a repository object; it throws BeanCreationExceptions.

As an example, here is part of one of my listeners. It is supposed to auto-populate a field before saving the visitor object by looking up some data.

The only way I've gotten this to work was to not use bean injection on my EventListener. Instead I had it be ApplicationContextAware, and looked up the objects from the context right before I called them. This kind of defeats the purpose of using DI, so I'm not happy with it. Any suggestions?
    Code:
    public class VisitorMongoEventListener extends AbstractMongoEventListener<Visitor> {
    	@Autowired
    	private MongoTemplate mongoTemplate; // This line causes it to fail

@Autowired
    	private VisitorRepository visitorRepository; // This line also causes it to fail

@Override
    	public void onBeforeConvert(Visitor source) {
    		if (StringUtils.isBlank(source.setEmbeddedValue())) {
    			String value= visitorRepository.lookupSomeOtherValueToEmbed(source);
    			source.setEmbeddedValue(value);
    		}
    	}
    and it throws the following exception stack.
    Code:
    ERROR [2011-09-28 16:37:26,944] [Thread-1] (ContextLoader.java:227) - Context initialization failed
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate' defined in class path resource [application-mongo.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'mappingConverter' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mappingConverter': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'mappingContext' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mappingContext': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener#0': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.springframework.data.mongodb.core.MongoTemplate com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener.mongoTemplate; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:328)
    <snip>
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mappingConverter': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'mappingContext' while setting constructor argument; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mappingContext': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener#0': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.springframework.data.mongodb.core.MongoTemplate com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener.mongoTemplate; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolveReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:328)
    <snip>
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mappingContext': Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener#0': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.springframework.data.mongodb.core.MongoTemplate com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener.mongoTemplate; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1420)
    <snip>
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener#0': Injection of autowired dependencies failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.springframework.data.mongodb.core.MongoTemplate com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener.mongoTemplate; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessPropertyValues(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:288)
    <snip>
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Could not autowire field: private org.springframework.data.mongodb.core.MongoTemplate com.han.mongo.listeners.VisitorMongoEventListener.mongoTemplate; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredFieldElement.inject(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:508)
    <snip>
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCurrentlyInCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?
    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.beforeSingletonCreation(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:297)
    <snip>

That's a coincidence. I encountered the same problem two days ago. I also had to use the ApplicationContextAware workaround.
    I try to inject MongoTemplate into an ApplicationListener class.

Code:
    public class SessionDestroyedListener implements ApplicationListener<SessionDestroyedEvent> {
    	@Autowired
    	private MongoTemplate mongoTemplate;
    }
    This will cause a "Error creating bean with name 'mongoTemplate': Requested bean is currently in creation: Is there an unresolvable circular reference?" error.

The weird part is that there is also an ApplicationListener on ContextRefreshEvent and here the autowiring of MongoTemplate works.

Code:
    @Component
    public class Startup implements ApplicationListener<ContextRefreshedEvent> {

@Autowired
    	private MongoTemplate mongoTemplate;
    }
    I have no idea why one works and the other throws an exception. I hope somebody can shed some light on this issue.
    Last edited by rasch; Sep 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM. Reason: added code tags

Comment

Hi,
      Appreciate if you could share your implementation of ApplicationContextAware. I am having similar problem.
      many thanks
      canal

Comment

This is from memory, so I don't guarantee that it's correct but it'd be a starting point...

Code:
        public class VisitorMongoEventListener extends AbstractMongoEventListener<Visitor> implements ApplicationContextAware {
        	private ApplicationContext applicationContext;
        	private String repositoryName;
        	private VisitorRepository visitorRepository = null;

public void setApplicationContext(ApplicationContext applicationContext) {
        		this.applicationContext = applicationContext;
        	}

public void setRepositoryName(String name) {
        		this.repositoryName = name;
        	}

public VisitorRepository getVisitorRepository() {
        		if (visitorRepository == null) {
        			visitorRepository = (VisitorRepository)(applicationContext.getBean(repositoryName));
        		}
        		return visitorRepository;
        	}

@Override
        	public void onBeforeConvert(Visitor source) {
        		if (StringUtils.isBlank(source.setEmbeddedValue())) {
        			String value= getVisitorRepository().lookupSomeOtherValueToEmbed(source);
        			source.setEmbeddedValue(value);
        		}
        	}
        }

Comment

thank you very much!

Comment

Injection into fields is considered bad practice anyway (how would you unit test that class?). Setter injection should work. The general problem is that you introduce a circular dependency Listener > MongoTemplate > MappingContext > Listener. Would it make sense to implement a custom Converter for your Visitor class instead?

Comment

Working...
            X