Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Data JPA and Spring Data MongoDB Integration Hell

Issue has been RESOLVED

I have a stand-alone web application that uses Spring Data JPA 1.0.0.RC1. It works. But when I use the 1.0.0.RELEASE I get the dreaded:
    Code:
    java.util.NoSuchElementException
    I have to stick with 1.0.0.RC1 for the meantime. See http://forum.springsource.org/showth...g-Data-JPA-bug.

Now, I have another web application that uses Spring Data MongoDB 1.0.0.M3. It works. It's an update for my tutorials I've written: for native Spring MVC and MongoDB integration, 1.0.0.M1, M2. See here http://krams915.blogspot.com/2011/04...for-100m2.html

The problem starts when I combine both Spring Data JPA and Spring Data MongoDB in one web application. The problem is with the spring-data-commons-core dependency
    • spring-data-mongodb 1.0.0.M3 uses spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0.M1
    • spring-data-jpa 1.0.0.RELEASE uses spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0.RELEASE

When these two Spring Data JPA and Mongo are combined I get the following exception:

Code:
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.springframework.data.repository.support.RepositoryFactoryBeanSupport
    It turns out the package structure of spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0.RELEASE has changed from1.1.0.M1. The RepositoryFactoryBeanSupport is now under org.springframework.data.repository.support.core (if I remember exactly).

But my point here it's in a different package. Hence, when using Maven, only one of these versions will be included. The other one will be excluded.

Since Maven excludes spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0.M1, Spring Data MongoDB can no longer find the RepositoryFactoryBeanSupport in the expected package, and therefore the exception.

Okay, so I tried using the latest Spring Data snapshots using Maven:

Code:
    <spring.data.jpa.version>1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.jpa.version>
    <spring.data.mongo.version>1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.mongo.version>
    It turns out Spring Data MongoDB 1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT is using an updated version of spring-data-commons-core. It's now using spring-data-commons-core 1.2.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT! While Spring Data JPA 1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT uses spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0.RC1!

So now we got a conflict again. And when I run my web app, I no longer get the missing RepositoryFactoryBeanSupport class. However, I'm not sure if that has been resolved entirely because the error I'm getting now is again the dreaded

Code:
    And the funny thing is I'm back to where I started at. I have to revert back to Spring Data JPA 1.0.0.RC1 for the meantime AND abandon MongoDB integration. See
    http://forum.springsource.org/showth...g-Data-JPA-bug.

So now I have two web apps using two different Spring Data: JPA on one hand, Mongo on the other hand.

I need a solution and explanation for the following:

1. When using the latest Spring Data JPA 1.0.0.RELEASE, I get the exception: java.util.NoSuchElementException. Take note, I'm not the only who's getting this error. See
    http://forum.springsource.org/showth...g-Data-JPA-bug.

2. How can I combine Spring Data JPA and MongoDB without conflict with spring-data-commons-core dependency? I do find it ironic that when we say core it should mean the common base dependency. It's like two projects where one depends on Spring 2 and the other on Spring 3.

3. Why is the progress from spring-data-commons-core faster in MongoDB than in JPA? Related to question #2, shouldn't they always have the same version? Same question applies to all other Spring Data projects that rely on spring-data-commons-core

Thank you for reading
    Last edited by skram; Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:25 AM. Reason: Resolved

I've posted a JIRA regarding the exception NoSuchElementException at https://jira.springsource.org/browse/DATAJPA-90

However my other issues are still unresolved. If someone has the knowledge, please share.

Comment

Here's some updates. I've managed to make Spring Data JPA and Spring Data Mongo to co-exist by using the latest Maven build snapshots:

Code:
      <spring.data.jpa.version>1.0.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.jpa.version>
      Maven automatically excluded spring-data-commons-core 1.2.0 BUILD-SNAPSHOT from being included. Instead it used the dependency version from Spring Data JPA: spring-data-commons-core 1.1.0 RC1

I've verified that the Mongo database has been populated by checking the Mongo shell.

However, to make all this work, I have to turn off all queries to JPA that uses Pageable as arguments; otherwise, I get the error:

Code:
      This means I can't do any JPA query that uses Pageable. I don't think it's Mongo's fault but rather it's JPA.

Comment

Additional updates:

I've updated my scheduler so that instead of retrieving messages via Spring Data JPA, it now uses Spring Data Mongo:

My service scheduler has a simple method:
        Code:
        @Override
        	List<Person> persons = personService.getAll();
        		for (Person person : persons) {
        			logger.debug(person);
        	}
        It prints out the person's info every 5 seconds. (I didn't include the declaration of the scheduler)

Now, I want to verify if the Pageable feature is really causing the issue. I want to know if this bug is related with Spring Data JPA only or not.

So I changed my code to
        Code:
        @Override
        	List<Person> persons = personService.getAll(new PageRequest(0,1));
        		for (Person person : persons) {
        			logger.debug(person);
        	}
        By the way personService is a wrapper to the PersonRepository.

And right after I run my application, I get the same exception as with the JPA version!

Code:
        [DEBUG] [scheduler-2 01:00:42] (ErrorLogAspect.java:logAround:43) Error caught...saving to db log: java.util.NoSuchElementException
        [ERROR] [scheduler-2 01:00:42] (TaskUtils.java:handleError:95) Unexpected error occurred in scheduled task.
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        	at org.krams.tutorial.aop.ErrorLogAspect.logAround(ErrorLogAspect.java:46)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621)
        	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610)
        	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:65)
        	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
        	at $Proxy128.post(Unknown Source)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        	at org.springframework.scheduling.support.ScheduledMethodRunnable.run(ScheduledMethodRunnable.java:64)
        	at org.springframework.scheduling.support.DelegatingErrorHandlingRunnable.run(DelegatingErrorHandlingRunnable.java:53)
        	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRunAndReset(FutureTask.java:317)
        	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:150)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$101(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:98)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.runPeriodic(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:204)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
        	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
        	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
        My initial conclusion here is that the issue is related with the spring-data-commons-core!

Comment

All of my problems have been resolved by using the latest snapshot build of Spring Data JPA:
          Code:
          <spring.data.jpa.version>1.1.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT</spring.data.jpa.version>
          I can now use Spring Data Mongo:
          Code:
          Both projects now use the latest spring-data-commons-core-1.2.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT

See JIRA https://jira.springsource.org/browse/DATAJPA-90
          Last edited by skram; Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Wow, tnx for your diligence!

Comment

I'm facing similar problems, IMHO snapshots are a no-no for going to production.

Comment

Hi

I am still having the same problem:
                spring-data-jpa : 1.0.3.RELEASE
                spring-data-commons-core : 1.2.1.RELEASE
                spring-data-mongodb : 1.0.1.RELEASE

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.springframework.data.repository.query.parser.P art.getProperty()Lorg/springframework/data/repository/query/parser/Property;
                at org.springframework.data.jpa.repository.query.JpaQ ueryCreator.toPredicate(JpaQueryCreator.java:163)

Comment

Working...
                X