X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring LDAP cache of credentials

It seems that Spring Security is caching the login credentials, and I'm not sure how to prevent it. Here are the steps I take:

1. login with user/pass
    2. change password to pass1
    3. logout
    4. login with user/pass (this shouldn't work but still does)
    5. logout
    6. logout with user/pass1 (this should work and does)

Notice that now the user can login with the old and new password. If I redeploy my application, then it is corrected - the old password doesn't work and the new one does.

I am using standalone ApacheDS for LDAP and Tomcat for my application.

I am getting exactly the same behaviour from the Ldap authentication, have you found a solution for this yet?

Comment

Ok so I updated to spring-security-2.0.4 and this sees to fix the issue for me, I was using 2.0.0.

Comment

I am still getting this behavior with OpenLDAP using Spring Security 2.0.4. If I restart Tomcat it seems to work fine. Is anyone else seeing this?

Comment

You will have better chances of getting an answer if you post this in the Spring Serucity forum.

Comment

Were you able to find the solution to this? I'm having the same problem using OpenDS and spring security 2.0.4.

thanks.

Comment

This might help - I had a similar issue relating to caching of creds and was able to get around it by specifying the following :

LdapContextSource ldapcontextsource = (LdapContextSource)ldapTemplateSUN3.getContextSour ce();
              //ensure credentials are not cached
              ldapcontextsource.setCacheEnvironmentProperties(fa lse);

detail from AbstractContectSource
              setCacheEnvironmentProperties

public void setCacheEnvironmentProperties(boolean cacheEnvironmentProperties)

Set whether environment properties should be cached between requsts for anonymous environment. Default is true; setting this property to false causes the environment Hashmap to be rebuilt from the current property settings of this instance between each request for an anonymous environment.

Parameters:
              cacheEnvironmentProperties - true causes that the anonymous environment properties should be cached, false causes the Hashmap to be rebuilt for each request.

Comment

I'm getting the same behaviour with:
                - Spring LDAP 1.3.0.RELEASE
                - ApacheDS 1.0.2

Setting the Cache Environment to false (contextSource.setCacheEnvironmentProperties(false )) did not change the behaviour.

Any further ideas?

Comment

you might try

Code:
                          ldapcontextsource.setPooled(false);

Comment

I honestly don't think Spring LDAP has anything to do with this problem. When authenticating (in effect: creating a new LDAP connection) Spring LDAP will always use the current credentials, regardless of whether the rest of the environment properties are cached or not.

Comment

if you set pooled to false I think it would create a new connection each time (end hence not cache the creds) - I could be wrong though however

Code:
                              LdapContextSource ldapcontextsource = (LdapContextSource)ldapTemplateSUN3.getContextSource();
                              //ensure credentials are not cached
                              ldapcontextsource.setCacheEnvironmentProperties(false);
                              ldapcontextsource.setPooled(false);
                      worked for me

Comment

Pooling is set to false per default ...

Could this be a problem of Apache Directory Server?

I use ApacheDS in in-memory mode for unit testing. When attaching a debugger and waiting at a breakpoint for a while (I don't know how long exactly), then I do not have the problem. Sounds like the password change is not "committed" immediately. Also on our buildserver (Hudson), I don't have the problem. Maybe because the server is so slow ...

Additional information: Connected to the Apache Directory Server with Apache Directory Studio, I see, that the password change is done immediately.
                        Last edited by bsantschi; Feb 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM. Reason: Additional information:

Comment

Setup LdapAuthenticationProvider manually to set pooled to "false"

Hi,

to set "pooled=false" you cannot use the security namespace configuration. Setup the bean graph youself!

This examples works for us. Try also the PasswordComparisionAuthenticator instead of BindAuthenticator.

Code:
                            <security:authentication-manager alias="authenticationManager">
                              <security:authentication-provider ref="ldapAuthenticationProvider"/>
                            </security:authentication-manager>

<bean id="ldapAuthenticationProvider" class="org.springframework.security.ldap.authentication.LdapAuthenticationProvider">
                              <constructor-arg>
                                <bean class="org.springframework.security.ldap.authentication.BindAuthenticator">
                                  <constructor-arg>
                                    <bean class="org.springframework.ldap.core.support.LdapContextSource" id="contextSource">
                                      <property name="url" value="ldap://ldap.xxx.de"/>
                                      <property name="base" value="ou=people,dc=xxx,dc=de"/>
                                      <property name="pooled" value="false"/>
                                    </bean>
                                  </constructor-arg>
                                  <property name="userDnPatterns" value="cn={0},ou=people,dc=xxx,dc=de"/>
                                </bean>
                              </constructor-arg>
                            </bean>
                          Best Regards,

Joerg and Timmo

Comment

Working...
                          X