Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum search completion time limit using setTimeLimit

Hi everyone,

I need to set a maximum search completion time limit for my LDAP queries.

According to the JNDI Javadoc, the method "setTimeLimit" in "javax.naming.directory.SearchControls" would do. However, I've set the least value ( 1 msec ) and there is no exception ( and I get the correct search result )

I've tried with both JNDI API code and Spring LDAP:

JNDI:
    Code:
     SearchControls ctls = new SearchControls();
     ctls.setReturningAttributes (attrIDs);
     ctls.setSearchScope(SearchControls.SUBTREE_SCOPE);
     ctls.setCountLimit(10);
     ctls.setTimeLimit(1);

NamingEnumeration answer = ctx.search(BASE_DN, filter, ctls);
    Spring LDAP:
    Code:
     SearchControls searchControls = new SearchControls();
      searchControls.setSearchScope(SearchControls.SUBTREE_SCOPE);
    searchControls.setTimeLimit(1);

return ldapTemplate.search("", equalsFilter.encode(), searchControls, 
    new PersonAttributeMapper());
    Where "ldapTemplate" has been defined as follows:
    Code:
    <bean id="ldapTemplate" class="org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate">
            <constructor-arg ref="contextSource" />
    </bean>
    I don't know what I may be doing wrong. I also have set a "com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.timeout" ( value 240 ms ), but I don't think that this might be the error.

Maybe I need to set the "search time limit" on org.springframework.ldap.core.LdapTemplate, but I can't see any related property on this class. And as far as I know, there is no environment or System property to set this paramater. So, it must be done through the SearchControls class.

Thank you in advance,

Salitre

SearchControls.setTimeLimit works fine. You will get a TimeLimitExceededException from the LdapTemplate.search method after the specified time.

You normally need to have plenty of data in your database in order to exceed even very small time limits.

Comment

Using spring-ldap-core 1.3.1 I'm having the same problem as the original poster. I have a timeout of 5000 ms and 200 entries and after 45 seconds I get a

org.springframework.ldap.SizeLimitExceededExceptio n: [LDAP: error code 4 - Search operation hit size limit. Found 200 Entries (0 Aliases), 5331 Attributes, 6696 Values.]; nested exception is javax.naming.SizeLimitExceededException: [LDAP: error code 4 - Search operation hit size limit. Found 200 Entries (0 Aliases), 5331 Attributes, 6696 Values.]; remaining name '******'

But The time limit of 5000 ms should have thrown the TimeLimitExceededException about 40 seconds erliear. My code looks almost like the original code above (I build the control in a helper method - that's the only difference).

I find almost no documentation to the time limits - is there any but the source?

Comment

Working...
      X