X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pagination - jumping pages

I have a requirement that may potentially have a result of a large number of results. (1000+)

I've seen the PagedResultsRequestControl sample using the cookie tracking. But this method limits us to only having a prev and next capability.

Is there a way to obtain the count of the entire query (without actually performing the query) so that I may be able to determine how many pages there will be? If so, how do I get the results for the nth page (ie jump to page 6 when I'm at page 2)?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Paged results is a tricky area. As you point out, the PagedResultsControl only gives you the data chunked into pages, with no way of moving backwards or to a random page in the result. There is another control that tries to remedy this: VirtualListViewControl. It's a very powerful control. However, there are a couple of problems with the VirtualListViewControl: It's only supported by a few LDAP servers, and it was never accepted as a standard. The latest draft I have been able to access is available here.

The way request and response controls are used in Spring LDAP is by creating a DirContextProcessor implementation that handles the control manipulation on the context. We do have a DirContextProcessor implementation that supports the VirtualListView control, but it's currently only available in our sandbox.

Comment

Thank you for your response ulsa....

Perhaps you can answer a couple of follow up questions.

1. Does Active Directory support VirtualListViewControl? Perhaps for the benefit of all, can you point us to some documentation that has a list of LDAP servers that support the VirtualListViewControl?

2. When do you forsee the release of the new DirContextProcessor that supports the VirtualListViewControl?

Thanks!

Comment

I don't know if Active Directory supports the VirtualListView (VLV) control. Nor do I know of a page that lists servers that do. You can check for yourself using a command similar to this:

ldapsearch -h ldap.example.com -p 389 -b '' -s base '(objectClass=*)' supportedControl

You should see controls with the following OIDs if the server supports VLV:

supportedcontrol=2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.9 (VLV request control)
        supportedcontrol=1.2.840.113556.1.4.473 (Server-side sort control, which is required)

We hope to release the VLV DirContextProcessor in Spring LDAP 1.2, which is due sometime in October 2007.

Comment

Working...
        X