Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows/NT/AD Username

Hi all,
    I'm trying to access the windows username for use with Spring LDAP.
    Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Glenn

If you elaborate a little more i might be able to help you. The name of the attribute for the windows username is "sAMAccountName". Is that what you're asking for?

Comment

By username I mean the windows signon credentials ie "doe_j" - not John Doe. Once I get "doe_j", I can query Active Directory & relevant details I need - primarily security roles.

I have found JCIFS (http://jcifs.samba.org/) which allows you to access the windows user name in IE without prompting the user for any details.
      Non IE browsers present a basic challenge, but that will be fine as the business users use IE anyway.

Does this make sense?
      I'll keep you all up-to-date on my progress & post the results for future reference by others.

Cheers

Comment

i have been trying to do the same thing

currently i have a web based login that successfully validates against ldap (or cookie). it's not bad, lots of interesting code to make everything work correctly. but it would be a hell of a lot simpler (on both myself and my users) if i could just do identification: easily find out who is logged into windows, and check their account name against my database.

but i can't find out how. i would think that it can be setup in tomcat's server.xml. then i should be able to call request.getRemoteUser()

also we have IIS piping requests to tomcat via isapi. it's a very sensitive setup, i really don't want to touch it because i'll F it up and won't be able to fix it. but i'm not sure if that makes it easier / harder / impossible to do what i need. IIS is a piece of shit but it's what they use.

anyone help us out?

Comment

figured this out, posting for future reference.

setup is tomcat 5.5.17, iis 6, isapi connector, and active directory.

IIS manager > jakarta virtual directory properties > directory security > disable anonymous access > turn on windows authentication ... if you goto a webapp now you should get the username / password box

in tomcat/conf/server.xml, inside the connector tag for IIS, put tomcatAuthentication="false" ... then request.getRemoteUser() should return DOMAIN\NT_NAME !

huge success, my users are gonna be so happy. now that I already have a solid login via LDAP / remember me, i think i'll integrate the two. if I can pull a valid NT name out of getRemoteUser(), continue, if not fall back to the explicit login.

Comment

This could certainly be applicable in a lot of public internet software. How about the security? Any issues that you know of?

Comment

Originally posted by lloyd.mcclendon View Post
              figured this out, posting for future reference.

setup is tomcat 5.5.17, iis 6, isapi connector, and active directory.

IIS manager > jakarta virtual directory properties > directory security > disable anonymous access > turn on windows authentication ... if you goto a webapp now you should get the username / password box

in tomcat/conf/server.xml, inside the connector tag for IIS, put tomcatAuthentication="false" ... then request.getRemoteUser() should return DOMAIN\NT_NAME !

huge success, my users are gonna be so happy. now that I already have a solid login via LDAP / remember me, i think i'll integrate the two. if I can pull a valid NT name out of getRemoteUser(), continue, if not fall back to the explicit login.
              I know this is a blast to/from the past, but this was pretty useful for us to get the same thing working with JBoss 5, IIS 7.5 and isapi_redirect.

Comment

Still trying to figure out....

Comment

Working...
                X