Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory issues with jpa and spring

Hello,

I am trying to understand why my app loads 24 instances (this is what a jmap histogram shows) of my "Sculpture" class whereas I only have 6 sculpture in my database.

Here is the method I use in order to load my "Sculpture" instances:
    Code:
     public List<Sculpture> findAllSculptures() {
            log.debug("findAllSculptures");
            return entityManager.createNamedQuery("Sculpture.findAllSculptures").setHint("org.hibernate.cacheable", true).getResultList();
        }
      public Sculpture findBySculptureID(Integer sculptureId) {
            log.debug("findBySculptureID");
            return (Sculpture) entityManager.createNamedQuery("Sculpture.findBySculptureID").setHint("org.hibernate.cacheable", true).setParameter("sculptureID", sculptureId).getSingleResult();
        }

public List<Sculpture> findSculpturesByIds(List<Integer> sculpturesIds) {
            log.debug("findSculpturesByIds");
            return entityManager.createNamedQuery("Sculpture.findSculpturesByIds").setHint("org.hibernate.cacheable", false).setParameter("sculpturesIds", sculpturesIds).getResultList();
        }
    Here is the relevant portion of XML spring configuration code:

Code:
    <bean id="entityManagerFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean">
            <property name="persistenceXmlLocation" value="classpath:/META-INF/persistence.xml" />
            <property name="persistenceUnitName" value="jbmPU" />
            <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
            <property name="jpaVendorAdapter">
                <bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter">
                    <property name="showSql" value="${database.showSql}" />
                    <property name="databasePlatform" value="${database.dialect}"/>
                </bean>
            </property>
        </bean>
    Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance,

Julien.

And why should that be an issue?! Each query goes to the database and creates/retrieves new instances of the objects in the database. Regardless if you have 1 or 200 objects.

If 2 threads do a query for all objects you would have, in your case, 12 instances of your class.

Comment

Thanks Marten,
      The reason I ask is that my app is consuming huge amounts of memory and I would like to have more control over that.
      Is there not a way to make sure that only n instances are loaded (if there are n lines in the database.)?
      J.

Comment

No... Which is logical you don't want me and you operate on the same instance, hibernate will solve that concurrency issue... If your app is consuming amounts of memory I suggest looking somewhere else as in general this isn't an issue...

Comment

The reason I asked the first question is that I suspect there might be something wrong in my code or configuration and I need some advice on where to look to.

Also, my instances are not meant to be altered or changed in any way. So why do I need several instances??

Do you see my point?

Julien.
          Last edited by balteo; Nov 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

No I still don't see your point as it isn't a problem. As I also stated if you have memory issues you probably have something else wrongly configured or doing something wrong in your application. However as you don't post code and/or configuration that is quite hard to guess.

If you do post please use [ code][/code ] tags!

Comment

Working...
            X