Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom persistence.xml & orm.xml w/OpenJPA & LCEMFB?

Hi all,

I'm using Spring 2.5.6 & OpenJPA 1.2.2. OpenJPA is not generating my schema at runtime in a Spring-based MVC webapp, and I can't figure out why. See below for details. Help is appreciated.

I am compiling, enhancing and jarring my entities in a jar called case-model-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar, that does NOT contain a META-INF/persistence.xml or a META-INF/orm.xml, because they need to be determined at run time. Additionally, some of the entities have annotation-based mapping information defaults, like @Column which I'd like to have honored unless overridden by xml-based mapping metadata.

Higher up in the dependency chain and in a separate project, I have a Spring web app that uses a service that depends on my entities, where I need to configure a custom persistence.xml and orm.xml that needs to be used along with the entities and their (possibly overridden) annotation-based mappings in the web app environment.

I have put my Spring configuration files in WEB-INF/spring for all of the application, and the Spring configuration is configured with the help of a properties file located in a directory, call it "/configuration", that is made available to the web application but is not part of the web application itself. The diretory /configuration contains a directory called "linx2", wherein are located all of my configuration files. A properties file, called "linx2/linx2.properties", allows a user to indicate the database type in use via the "linx2.db.type" property, for example:

Code:
    linx2.db.type=hsqldb-memory
    linx2.db.url=jdbc:hsqldb:mem:linx2
    linx2.db.driver=org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
    linx2.db.user=sa
    linx2.db.password=
    That property is used in my Spring config to determine which persistence.xml and openjpa properties file to use:

Code:
        <bean id="entityManagerFactory"
            class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean">
            <property name="persistenceUnitName" value="case-model" />
            <property name="persistenceXmlLocation"
                value="classpath:/linx2/${linx2.db.type}-case-model-persistence.xml" />
            <property name="jpaProperties">
                <util:properties
                    location="classpath:/linx2/${linx2.db.type}-openjpa.properties" />
            </property>
            <property name="jpaVendorAdapter">
                <bean class="org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor.OpenJpaVendorAdapter">
                    <property name="showSql" value="false" />
                    <property name="generateDdl" value="false" />
                </bean>
            </property>
            <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
        </bean>
    For good measure, here's my dataSource bean:

Code:
        <bean class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" name="dataSource">
            <property name="driverClassName" value="${linx2.db.driver}" />
            <property name="url" value="${linx2.db.url}" />
            <property name="username" value="${linx2.db.user}" />
            <property name="password" value="${linx2.db.password}" />
        </bean>
    Because linx2.db.type is "hsqldb-memory", the persistence.xml file should be "linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml" and the openjpa properties file used should be "linx2/hsqldb-memory-openjpa.properties", both located in the directory "/configuration", which is on the classpath available to the webapp. Note that hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml is not in /configuration/linx2/META-INF -- it's directly in /configuration/linx2/:

The contents of linx2/hsqldb-memory-openjpa.properties follow. Note the use of classpath scanning for the jar, case-model-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar, containing the entities.

Code:
    openjpa.AutoDetach=commit
    openjpa.DetachState=fgs
    openjpa.QueryCache=false
    openjpa.jdbc.SubclassFetchMode=none
    openjpa.jdbc.EagerFetchMode=none
    openjpa.MetaDataFactory=jpa(ClasspathScan=case-model-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar)
    openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings=buildSchema(ForeignKeys=false,Indexes=false)
    openjpa.Log=DefaultLevel=TRACE
    The contents of linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml follow. Note the use of the custom mapping file linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-orm.xml, which is located next to linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml in /configuration.

Code:
    <persistence xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
        version="1.0">
        <persistence-unit name="case-model">
            <provider>
                org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl
            </provider>
            <mapping-file>hsqldb-memory-case-model-orm.xml</mapping-file>
        </persistence-unit>
    </persistence>
    When I run the application and attempt to persist entities, I get the following error:

Code:
    <openjpa-1.2.2-r422266:898935 nonfatal general error> org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceException: Table not found in statement ...
    which tells me that the schema is not getting generated. I've confirmed this in the log -- no create table statements are being executed.

In the log, I see that Spring is reporting something suspicious that I think might be related to the problem:

Code:
    15:00:20.176 [main] INFO  org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertiesFactoryBean  - Loading properties file from class path resource [linx2/hsqldb-memory-openjpa.properties]
    15:00:20.236 [main] INFO  org.springframework.orm.jpa.persistenceunit.PersistenceUnitReader  - hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml should be located inside META-INF directory; cannot determine persistence unit root URL for class path resource [linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml]
    15:00:20.237 [main] INFO  org.springframework.orm.jpa.LocalContainerEntityManagerFactoryBean  - Building JPA container EntityManagerFactory for persistence unit 'case-model'
    So while Spring complains about not being able to determine the PU root URL, it builds the JPA container EMF for PU "case-model".

Immediately thereafter, OpenJPA says it's looking for META-INF/orm.xml, even though my mapping file is linx2/hsqldb-memory-case-model-orm.xml:

Code:
    3  model  TRACE  [main] openjpa.Runtime - Setting the following properties from "?" into configuration: {openjpa.DetachState=fgs, openjpa.ConnectionFactory=org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource@173a0067, openjpa.jdbc.SynchronizeMappings=buildSchema(ForeignKeys=false,Indexes=false), javax.persistence.provider=org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl, openjpa.MetaDataFactory=jpa(ClasspathScan=case-model-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar), openjpa.AutoDetach=commit, openjpa.jdbc.EagerFetchMode=none, openjpa.ClassResolver=org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceUnitInfoImpl$ClassResolverImpl@2da896a4, openjpa.jdbc.SubclassFetchMode=none, openjpa.Log=DefaultLevel=TRACE, openjpa.QueryCache=false, openjpa.Id=case-model}
    7  model  TRACE  [main] openjpa.Runtime - No cache marshaller found for id org.apache.openjpa.conf.MetaDataCacheMaintenance.
    47  model  TRACE  [main] openjpa.MetaData - Scanning resource "META-INF/orm.xml" for persistent types.
    OpenJPA then seems to startup ok, correctly identifying the database and emitting the usual warning about registering a ClassTransformer, but with no mention of hsqldb-memory-case-model-persistence.xml or hsqldb-memory-case-model-orm.xml.

Later, OpenJPA appears to be finding my entities ok and building metadata from them:

Code:
    11710  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - Initial connection autoCommit: true, holdability: 1, TransactionIsolation: 2
    11713  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - <t 922745441, conn 0> [0 ms] close
    11737  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - DataSource connection setAutoCommit to "true"
    11738  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - <t 922745441, conn 0> [0 ms] close
    11760  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData - Scanning resource "META-INF/orm.xml" for persistent types.
    11761  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData - parsePersistentTypeNames() found [].
    11761  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData - Found 0 classes with metadata in 1 milliseconds.
    11856  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData - Processing registered persistence-capable class "class org.piercecountywa.linx.casemanagement.model.SpecialIdentificationProcedure".
    At the end of the transaction, I see the following in the log. Note the unexpected message about parsing class java.lang.String:

Code:
    17096  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData -     Resolving field "org.piercecountywa.linx.casemanagement.model.Victim@907[email protected]".
    17126  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.MetaData - Parsing class "java.lang.String".
    17133  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.Query - Executing query: select d from SuperiorCourtDivision d where d.ajc$interField$org_piercecountywa_linx_casemanagement_model_aspects_NamedMixin$org_piercecountywa_linx_casemanagement_model_aspects_NamedMixin$IntroducedNamed$name = 'Criminal Division 1'
    17173  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - <t 922745441, conn 535160945> [0 ms] rollback
    17174  case-model  TRACE  [casews-refid-6e511aa0-062a-4564-80a0-8c8c9c969b61-0] openjpa.jdbc.JDBC - <t 922745441, conn 0> [0 ms] close
    I also noticed that OpenJPA seems to be ignoring the mapping information on fields in entities in case-model-1.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.

Can anyone help me here please?

Thanks,
    Matthew

Note: crossposted to [email protected]
Working...
X