X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble retriving row using Hibernate

I am trying to retrieve one row from my MySQL database using hibernate 3.05 and Spring 1.2.3 on Windows XP and am unsuccessful. Here is the mapping for my Player object:

Code:
    <hibernate-mapping>
      <class name="bnice.golf.data.Player" table="PLAYER">

<id name="playerId" column="PLAYER_ID" unsaved-value="null">	
          <generator class="identity"/>
        </id>

<property name="username" type="string" column="username" length="16" not-null="true"/>
        <property name="password" length="16" column="password" not-null="true"/>
        <property name="firstName" column="first_name" length="16" not-null="true"/>
        <property name="lastName" column="last_name" length="16" not-null="true"/>
        <property name="handicap"/>

<many-to-one name="address" column="address_id" class="Address"/>

</class>
    </hibernate-mapping>
    My -servlet.xml file for Spring:
    Code:
    	<!-- DATABASE -->
    	<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
    		<property name="jndiName">
    			<value>java&#58;comp/env/jdbc/myGolf</value>
    		</property>
    	</bean>
    	<bean id="sessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean">
    		<property name="dataSource">
    			<ref bean="dataSource"/>
    		</property>
    		<property name="hibernateProperties">
    			<props>
    				<prop key="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect</prop>
    				<prop key="hibernate.show_sql">true</prop>
    			</props>
    		</property>
    		<property name="mappingDirectoryLocations">
    			<list>
    				<value>classpath&#58;/bnice/golf/data</value>
    			</list>
    		</property>		
    	</bean>		

<!-- DAO -->
    	<bean id="playerDAO" class="bnice.golf.dao.PlayerDAOImpl">
    		<property name="sessionFactory">
    			<ref bean="sessionFactory"/>
    		</property>
    	</bean>
    And finally my code for the DAO:
    Code:
    	public Player login&#40;final String username, final String password&#41; &#123;
    		HibernateTemplate template = new HibernateTemplate&#40;this.sessionFactory&#41;;
    		return &#40;Player&#41; template.execute&#40;new HibernateCallback&#40;&#41; &#123;
    			public Object doInHibernate&#40;Session session&#41; throws HibernateException &#123;
    				Query query = session.createQuery&#40;
    					"from bnice.golf.data.Player player where player.username=? and password=?"&#41;;
    				query.setString&#40;0, username&#41;;
    				query.setString&#40;1, password&#41;;
    				System.out.println&#40;"Size&#58;"+query.list&#40;&#41;.size&#40;&#41;+" "+username+" "+password+" "+query.getQueryString&#40;&#41;&#41;;
    				return query.uniqueResult&#40;&#41;;
    			&#125;
    		&#125;&#41;;
    	&#125;
    It looks like I have the database setup correctly because if instead of calling this DAO, I use some straightforward JDCB code in my controller, it works perfectly:

Code:
      DataSource ds = null;

try &#123;
    	            try &#123;
    	                Context ic = &#40;Context&#41; new InitialContext&#40;&#41;.lookup&#40;"java&#58;comp/env"&#41;;

ds = &#40;DataSource&#41; ic.lookup&#40;"jdbc/myGolf"&#41;;
    	            &#125; catch &#40;Exception e&#41; &#123;
    	                System.out.println&#40;"Error getting DS."&#41;;
    	            &#125;

Connection con = ds.getConnection&#40;&#41;;
    	            Statement st = con.createStatement&#40;&#41;;
    	            ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery&#40;"Select * from player where username='bcnice99"&#41;;
    	            if &#40;rs.next&#40;&#41;&#41; &#123;
    	            	System.out.println&#40;"Found"&#41;;
    	            &#125;
    	            else &#123;
    	            	System.out.println&#40;"not Found"&#41;;
    	            &#125;
    	            con.close&#40;&#41;;
    	        &#125; catch &#40;Exception e&#41; &#123;
    	            System.out.println&#40;"Error getting DataSource"&#41;;
    	        &#125;
    			return showForm&#40;req, res, errors&#41;;
    This is my first attempt at this so it is probably something simple. Thanks for the help!

Brian

Can you describe what happens when you try to run it?

Comment

The println in the DAO code:
      Code:
                 System.out.println&#40;"Size&#58;"+query.list&#40;&#41;.size&#40;&#41;+" "+username+" "+password+" "+query.getQueryString&#40;&#41;&#41;;
      always prints:

Code:
      "Size&#58;0 bcnice99 password from bnice.golf.data.Player player where player.username=? and player.password=?
      So it never finds a row, even though there is a row in the database that matches. I never get any sort of error, so I guess the query is getting run? Contrast to that when I run using straight JDBC it does find a row in the database and prints "Found!"

Thanks for the help!
      BRian

Comment

Your SQL query is not the same as your Hibernate query. Your Hibernate one looks for a player with a username and password of what is passed in, whereas your SQL query only looks based on username. This explains the difference in results.

Comment

I did that for simplicity sake. I can change the query in the JDBC to include the password and I am able to find a row. I wrote the JDBC part just to make sure that I could retrieve a database connection ok and that it was set up correctly. So there is something else that I am doing wrong I guess with the Hibernate part.
          Thanks for the help
          Brian

Comment

Found the problem - I thought my ant script was copying my hbm.xml files over to my WEB-INF/classes/../ directory but it wasn't. After I added those files to the correct directory, it started working.
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X