Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is TransactionSynchronizationManager not being activited?

I'm getting "No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here" because TransactionSynchronizationManager.isSynchronizatio nActive() is returning false. I'm using @Transactional so that Spring will manager transactions. Here's my applicationContext.xml

Code:
    <!-- Hibernate SessionFactory -->
    	<bean id="sessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean"
    			p:dataSource-ref="dataSource" p:mappingResources="passion.hbm.xml">
    		<property name="hibernateProperties">
    			<props>
    				<prop key="hibernate.dialect">${hibernate.dialect}</prop>
    				<prop key="hibernate.show_sql">${hibernate.show_sql}</prop>
    			</props>
    		</property>
    	</bean>

<context:annotation-config/>

<tx:annotation-driven transaction-manager="transactionManager" />

<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager"
    			p:sessionFactory-ref="sessionFactory"/>

-->
    Here's the code that generates
    "No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here".

Code:
    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
        @Transactional(readOnly=true)
        public List<ResponseData> getResponses(String userId, String questionnaireName, int questionNumber)
        {
            List<ResponseData> responses = (List<ResponseData>)getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession().createQuery("from ResponseData where user.userId = ? and question.questionnaire.name = ? and question.questionNumber = ?" +
            		" order by id")
            .setString(0, userId).setString(1, questionnaireName).setInteger(2, questionNumber).list();
            return responses;
        }
    When traversing SessionFactoryUtils.doGetSession, I noticed that TransactionSynchronizationManager.isSynchronizatio nActive() is false. I believe this means that Spring isn't managing the transactions. What is wrong with my configuration?

Do you use component scanning?

Also make sure that the tx:annotation-driven is in the SAME applicationcontext as the classes that are @Transactional marked. If the tx:annotation-driven is in the root (ContextLoaderListener) en the other classes are in the child (DispatcherServlet) there are no transactions.

Comment

Yes, I use component scanning.

Comment

Configure it correctly then...

My guess you have 2 instances of the dao, 1 in the root and one in the servlet. Let the dispatcher servlet ONLY scan for @Controllers and the one in the root scan everything BUT @Controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by Marten Deinum View Post
          Configure it correctly then...

My guess you have 2 instances of the dao, 1 in the root and one in the servlet. Let the dispatcher servlet ONLY scan for @Controllers and the one in the root scan everything BUT @Controllers.
          I did this and it still doesn't work. Would it better to not use component scanning?

Comment

I found out how to fix my problem, but I do not know why the problem occurs.
            Before I tell you the fix, I will tell you what I did that I thought would work.
            My DAO has the @Repository annotation. In my root context I scan for everything except Controllers using the following
            Code:
            <context:component-scan base-package="com.kingdomglory">
             <context:exclude-filter type="annotation" expression="org.springframework.stereotype.Controller"/>
            </context:component-scan>
            and only Controllers in the DispatchServlet using

Code:
            <context:component-scan base-package="com.kingdomglory">
            <context:include-filter type="annotation" expression="org.springframework.stereotype.Controller"/>
            </context:component-scan>
            My DAO is annotated with @Repository, so gets picked up by the root context. It also has the @Transactional annotation. Each of the DAO's methods also has the @Transactional annotation. Using this configuration, the transaction interceptors don't get invoked. However, if I remove the @Repository and @Transactional annotation and explicitly define the bean in the root context (i.e. add a bean tag in applicationContext.xml for the DAO) the transaction interceptors are invoked.

Does anyone know why the former configuration doesn't work, but the latter configuration does?

Comment

The configuration of your DispatcherServlet excludes nothing, it still scans for everything. You should specify tell the component-scan elements not to use the default-filters. Now it first registers the defaults (scan for @Component) and you are adding a @Controller. So it still scans for all the @Components.

Start by disabling that and then add the @Controller.

Code:
              <context:component-scan base-package="com.kingdomglory" use-default-filters="false">
                <context:include-filter type="annotation" expression="org.springframework.stereotype.Controller"/>
              </context:component-scan

Comment

Originally posted by Marten Deinum View Post
                The configuration of your DispatcherServlet excludes nothing, it still scans for everything. You should specify tell the component-scan elements not to use the default-filters. Now it first registers the defaults (scan for @Component) and you are adding a @Controller. So it still scans for all the @Components.

Start by disabling that and then add the @Controller.

Code:
                <context:component-scan base-package="com.kingdomglory" use-default-filters="false">
                </context:component-scan
                I did this and added @Repository to my DAO, but I'm getting errors saying indicating that no bean was created from my DAO. I think I'll just stick to my work around. Although I'm using this code in production, currently it is a small app. As it gets bigger, I'm not going to do component scanning any way. I'm going to explicitly specify the beans in config files.

Comment

Working...
                X