X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem running JUNIT test with JNDI datasource

I am trying to run the junit test outside the container and having a problem running it with a jndi datasource specified in the applicationContext file for spring.

In my unit test, I create an application context and include the spring files to use the same jndi data source my application uses. This fails during initalization itself as the jndi datasource is not available outside the j2ee container.

I tried using org.springframework.mock.jndi, this creates a datasource and binds it to the same name specified in the spring context file. I dont know if I should then put that in any other place so that the spring context file can recognize this jndi datasource.

I need to some how get in between that and initialize the datasource before it fails for my unit tests. Any suggestions on how to do the same?

I get the following error:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:274)
    at junit.framework.TestSuite.createTest(TestSuite.jav a:131)
    at junit.framework.TestSuite.addTestMethod(TestSuite. java:114)
    at junit.framework.TestSuite.<init>(TestSuite.java:75 )
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.getTest(RemoteTestRunner.java:360)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:398)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:305)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRu nner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:186)
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationExce ption: Error creating bean with name 'serverJndiDataSource' defined in class path resource [edu/northwestern/snuper/dao/spring-data.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file: java.naming.factory.initial
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract AutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAuto wireCapableBeanFactory.java:318)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract AutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAuto wireCapableBeanFactory.java:223)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract BeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:236)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.Abstract BeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:159)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultL istableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(Defaul tListableBeanFactory.java:255)
    at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplic ationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.ja va:317)
    at org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlAp plicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationCon text.java:80)
    at org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlAp plicationContext.<init>(ClassPathXmlApplicationCon text.java:65)
    at edu.northwestern.snuper.core.BaseDatabaseTestCase. <clinit>(BaseDatabaseTestCase.java:76)

Use a local datasource for testing rather than a JNDI one - there are plenty of examples in the samples - this is from jpetstore

Code:
    	<bean id="dataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" destroy-method="close">
    		<property name="driverClassName" value="$&#123;jdbc.driverClassName&#125;"/>
    		<property name="url" value="$&#123;jdbc.url&#125;"/>
    		<property name="username" value="$&#123;jdbc.username&#125;"/>
    		<property name="password" value="$&#123;jdbc.password&#125;"/>
    	</bean>

Comment

I have all my beans in the context files which I use for the JUnit tests, to test my DAO's. I initialize the context files in the JUnit test as follows:

String[] springFiles = {"spring-data.xml","spring-service.xml" };
      applicationContext = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext(springFiles);

I have to comment the JNDI datasource in the spring-data.xml and then run the tests as it fails to initialize, which I am trying to find a way around or I have to put the datasources in another file and not include it in the application context. Is there anyother way?

Comment

have the application server running.

i usually use the PropertyPlaceholderCOnfigure to hold the jndi settings.

do this in your junit applicationCOntext.xml
        Code:
        <bean id="applicationServerEnviromentProperties" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertiesFactoryBean">
        <property name="properties">
            <props>
                <prop key="java.naming.factory.initial">weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory</prop>
                <prop key="java.naming.provider.url">iiop&#58;//localhost&#58;9999</prop>
            </props>
        </property>

<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
              <property name="jndiName"><value>yourDataSource</value></property>
        <property name="jndiEnvironment"><ref local="applicationServerEnviromentProperties"/></property>
        </bean>

check your application server documentation for the correct naming factory, and provider url syntax.

hope this helps.

Comment

You don't need the app server running. Use a local datasource. Just pull out the DataSource/TransactionManager definition into a separate XML file, and use that instead of the JNDI/JTA one during testing. You can still use all the rest of your configuration.

Try the org.springframework.test package in spring-mock.jar. This is designed for 100% out of container testing.

Comment

I noticed this thread from a couple of years ago and I'm wondering if anything has changed as a result of SimpleNamingContextBuilder

Any help appreciated

Code:
            public class SomethingServiceTest extends AbstractTransactionalSpringContextTests {

@Override
                @BeforeClass
                protected void onSetUpInTransaction() throws Exception {

final SimpleNamingContextBuilder builder = new SimpleNamingContextBuilder();
                    final ComboPooledDataSource ds = new ComboPooledDataSource();
                    ds.setDriverClass("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver");
                    ds.setJdbcUrl("jdbc:oracle:thin:@128.129.145.88:1521:ANDDEVA");
                    ds.setUser("CMS");
                    ds.setPassword("CMS");
                    ds.setMaxPoolSize(1);
                    ds.setMaxPoolSize(15);
                    ds.setAcquireIncrement(3);
                    ds.setMaxStatementsPerConnection(100);
                    ds.setAutomaticTestTable("c3p0_test_table");
                    ds.setNumHelperThreads(20);
                    builder.bind("java:comp/env/and/jdbc/WPSPool", ds);
                    builder.activate();
                }
            Code:
                <bean id="dataSource"
                    class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
                    <property name="jndiName" value="and/jdbc/WPSPool"/>
                </bean>

<bean id="sessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean">
                    <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
                    <property name="hibernateProperties">
                        <props>
                            <prop key="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle9Dialect</prop>
                            <prop key="hibernate.query.substitutions">true=1 false=0</prop>
                            <!--  <prop key="hibernate.cglib.use_reflection_optimizer">false</prop>				-->
                            <prop key="hibernate.show_sql">true</prop>
                            <prop key="hibernate.jdbc.batch_size">0</prop>
                            <prop key="hibernate.cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider</prop>
                            <prop key="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache">true</prop>
                        </props>
                    </property>
                    <property name="mappingResources">
                        <list>
                            <value>/uk/co/somewhere/domain/Answer.hbm.xml</value>
                        </list>
                    </property>
                </bean>
            Code:
            org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAttributeSourceAdvisor': Cannot create inner bean '(inner bean)' of type [org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor] while setting bean property 'transactionInterceptor'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name '(inner bean)': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'transactionManager' while setting bean property 'transactionManager'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager' defined in class path resource [transactional-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name '(inner bean)': Cannot resolve reference to bean 'transactionManager' while setting bean property 'transactionManager'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager' defined in class path resource [transactional-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'transactionManager' defined in class path resource [transactional-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'sessionFactory' while setting bean property 'sessionFactory'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Cannot resolve reference to bean 'dataSource' while setting bean property 'dataSource'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in class path resource [persistence-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            Caused by: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
            	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)

at org.springframework.test.AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.createApplicationContext(AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.java:199)
            	at org.springframework.test.AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.loadContextLocations(AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.java:179)
            	at org.springframework.test.AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.loadContext(AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.java:158)
            	at org.springframework.test.AbstractSpringContextTests.getContext(AbstractSpringContextTests.java:105)
            	at org.springframework.test.AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.setUp(AbstractSingleSpringContextTests.java:87)
            	at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:132)
            	at org.springframework.test.ConditionalTestCase.runBare(ConditionalTestCase.java:69)
            	at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:110)
            	at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:128)
            	at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:113)
            	at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:124)
            	at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:232)
            	at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:227)
            	at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit38ClassRunner.run(JUnit38ClassRunner.java:81)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:38)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:460)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:673)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:386)
            	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:196)

Comment

AbstractTransactionalSpringContextTests was initializing context before my onSetUpInTransaction() was being called. So JNDI wasn't being initialized. Moved initialization code to Constructor

Comment

Terrific solution with the SimpleNamingContextBuilder. Works for me. I chose to put this into a static constructor for my extended AbstractTransactionalDataSourceSpringContextTests base class since the datasource can only be bound once. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by sudarshan_k View Post
                  I have all my beans in the context files which I use for the JUnit tests, to test my DAO's. I initialize the context files in the JUnit test as follows:

String[] springFiles = {"spring-data.xml","spring-service.xml" };
                  applicationContext = new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext(springFiles);

I have to comment the JNDI datasource in the spring-data.xml and then run the tests as it fails to initialize, which I am trying to find a way around or I have to put the datasources in another file and not include it in the application context. Is there anyother way?
                  You can also code it so that you try and use a JNDI datasource, and if that is not there, use a DBCP one that is not in a JNDI namespace. To me this is the best solution, as you have a single context file for your datasource, that uses the JNDI datasource for running in the real world, and the test datasource for running in unit tests. Look at this example, specifically the defaultObject property on the JndiObjectFactoryBean :

Code:
                  <bean id="dataSource"
                  		class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">

<property name="jndiName"
                  			ref="applicationProperties[datasourceJNDIName]" />
                  		<property name="defaultObject" ref="developmentDataSource" />
                  	</bean>

<!-- fall back datasource if JNDI look up of main datasource fails -->

<bean id="developmentDataSource"
                  		class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource"
                  		destroy-method="close">
                  		<property name="driverClassName"
                  			ref="applicationProperties[database.jdbc.driverClassName]" />
                  		<property name="url" ref="applicationProperties[database.url]" />
                  		<property name="username"
                  			ref="applicationProperties[database.username]" />
                  		<property name="password"
                  			ref="applicationProperties[database.password]" />

<property name="initialSize">
                  			<value>10</value>
                  		</property>

<property name="maxActive">
                  			<value>0</value>
                  		</property>

<property name="maxWait">
                  			<value>5000</value>
                  		</property>

</bean>

Comment

javax.naming.NoInitialContextException

So I'm trying to follow Paul NewPort's suggestion of using a fallback default in order to run my integration tests but I'm getting a NoInitialContextException error.

Here's the top of the stack trace:
                    Code:
                    WARN  2009-06-05 17:23:51,947 [main] impl.SessionFactoryObjectFactory  - Could not bind factory to JNDI
                    javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
                    	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown Source)
                    	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)
                    	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(Unknown Source)
                    	at javax.naming.InitialContext.getNameParser(Unknown Source)
                    	at org.hibernate.util.NamingHelper.bind(NamingHelper.java:52)
                    	at org.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryObjectFactory.addInstance(SessionFactoryObjectFactory.java:90)
                    	at org.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl.<init>(SessionFactoryImpl.java:306)
                    	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1294)
                    	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.newSessionFactory(LocalSessionFactoryBean.java:814)
                    	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.buildSessionFactory(LocalSessionFactoryBean.java:732)
                    	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.AbstractSessionFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(AbstractSessionFactoryBean.java:211)
                    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1369)
                    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1335)
                    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:473)
                    	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
                    My spring config looks like this:
                    Code:
                    <bean id="dsWRITE" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
                    	<property name="jndiName">
                    		<value>java:jdbc/DSWriteSybaseServer</value>
                    	</property>
                    	<!--  fallback to a local datasource if we are not in the container -->
                    </bean>

<bean id="developmentDataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" destroy-method="close">
                    	<property name="driverClassName" value="com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver" />
                    	<property name="url" value="jdbc:sybase:Tds:127.0.0.1:5000/asdf?charset=utf8" />
                    	<property name="username" value="XXXX" />
                    	<property name="password" value="XXXX" />

<property name="initialSize" value="10" />
                    	<property name="maxActive" value="0" />
                    	<property name="maxWait" value="5000" />
                    </bean>

<bean id="hibernateSessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean">
                    	<property name="configLocation" value="classpath:hibernate.cfg.xml"/>
                    	<property name="dataSource" ref="dsWRITE" />
                    </bean>
                    and my hibernate.cfg.xml looks like this:
                    Code:
                    <session-factory name="hibernate/HibernateFactory">
                    	<property name="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache">true</property>
                    	<property name="hibernate.cache.use_second_level_cache">true</property>
                    	<property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider</property>
                    	<property name="hibernate.cache.use_structured_entries">true</property>
                    	<property name="current_session_context_class">jta</property>
                    	<property name="hibernate.show_sql">false</property>
                    	<property name="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.SybaseDialect</property>

<!-- mappings here -->

</session-factory>
                    Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Comment

The problem is that the jndi-based bean is being instantiated out side of any containerís context and the InitialContext does not have the information it needs to create the real jndi implementation

Comment

Possible solution

Writing down my solution here, to whom it may concern.

Using oracle 10, spring 2.5 and junit 3.8.1, I have an oracle datasource defined in Tomcat I connect to in from within my applicationContext.xml, which I inject later on in my DAO's:
                        Code:

<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
                                <property name="jndiName" value="java:comp/env/jdbc/myDs"/>
                            </bean>
                        and I have standalone Junit tests calling my service methods and failing because of the fact there was no JNDI running.

I created a helper class JndiDatasourceCreator:
                        Code:
                        import javax.naming.NamingException;
                        import oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource;
                        import org.springframework.mock.jndi.SimpleNamingContextBuilder;

/**
                         * Class to create a mock JNDI object in which we add a direct connection to the 
                         * Oracle jdbc. Needed so that the standalone Junit tests run and don't fail on the 
                         * creation of the dataSource bean within applicationContext.xml. 
                         * This class acts as if a datasource would be added to an application/web server's
                         * JNDI tree, under the name  java:comp/env/jdbc/XXXX.
                         * Has to be invoked from within each one of the Junit tests. 
                         * @author Joris Vleminckx
                         */
                        public class JndiDatasourceCreator {
                        	private static final String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@192.168.0.67:1521:XE";
                        	private static final String username = "user";
                        	private static final String password = "pass";
                        	private static final String jndiName = "myDs";

public static void create() throws Exception {
                        		try {
                        			final SimpleNamingContextBuilder builder = new SimpleNamingContextBuilder();
                        			OracleConnectionPoolDataSource ds = new OracleConnectionPoolDataSource();
                        			ds.setURL(url);
                        			ds.setUser(username);
                        			ds.setPassword(password);
                        			builder.bind("java:comp/env/jdbc/" + jndiName, ds);
                        			builder.activate();
                        		} catch (NamingException ex) {
                        			ex.printStackTrace();
                        		}
                        	}
                        }
                        and my Junit tests now look like this:

Code:
                        public class Test... extends TestCase {

protected void setUp() throws Exception {
                        		logger.info("Test...: Setting up tests");
                        		JndiDatasourceCreator.create();
                        	}

protected void tearDown() throws Exception {
                        		logger.info("Test...: Tearing down tests");
                        	}

public void test...() {
                                      // here applicationContext.xml will be parsed
                        	   MyServiceInterface service = ServicesFactory.getMyService();

// ... do things
                        	}

}
                        Works flawless! :-)

Comment

Eureka

Thank you so much for posting your code.

Comment

Originally posted by msmithi33 View Post
                            So I'm trying to follow Paul NewPort's suggestion of using a fallback default in order to run my integration tests but I'm getting a NoInitialContextException error.

My spring config looks like this:
                            Code:
                            <bean id="dsWRITE" class="org.springframework.jndi.JndiObjectFactoryBean">
                            	<property name="jndiName">
                            		<value>java:jdbc/DSWriteSybaseServer</value>
                            	</property>
                            	<!--  fallback to a local datasource if we are not in the container -->
                            </bean>

<bean id="developmentDataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource" destroy-method="close">
                            	<property name="driverClassName" value="com.sybase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver" />
                            	<property name="url" value="jdbc:sybase:Tds:127.0.0.1:5000/asdf?charset=utf8" />
                            	<property name="username" value="XXXX" />
                            	<property name="password" value="XXXX" />

<property name="initialSize" value="10" />
                            	<property name="maxActive" value="0" />
                            	<property name="maxWait" value="5000" />
                            </bean>
                            Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
                            According to your configuration,
                            If connection using jndi fails by default the connection will be used from defaultObject

Did you noticed in applicationserver if the jndi connection get failed
                            will get "The Network Adapter could not establish the connection"
                            and the defaultObject is null, it doesnot looking connection from defaultObject
                            Last edited by springbeginners; Feb 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X