X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ehcache.jar held up after application undeployed

I know this is more likely a hibernate question but didn't want to post on the hibernate forum and get scorned at...

I'm migrating this application from Spring MVC to Spring Portlet and deploying it to jetspeed2/tomcat. It uses hibernate which uses ehcache.jar.

The problem happens everytime when the application is undeployed while the server is running. Tomcat would delete the exploded war directory, except WEB-INF/lib/ehcache.jar. If I try to delete it manually while tomcat is still running, I get the "used by another process" Windows error.

I didn't have this problem until the application was ported to portlets, so this may have to do with jetspeed. Has anybody seen anything like this before?
    Thanks.

can you move ehcache in a different place in the server main lib directory? This types of error usually occur when classes are still hanging somewhere and there is a lock on the jar file.
    As EhCache is a singleton there is a chance that the cache manager is not shutdown so the jar is still needed. You can also try to play with the lockjar settings from Tomcat or/and call GC() manually .

Comment

Originally posted by costin
      can you move ehcache in a different place in the server main lib directory? This types of error usually occur when classes are still hanging somewhere and there is a lock on the jar file.
      I knew I could move the jar to shared/lib, but it was going to be my last resort for the obvious reason.

Originally posted by costin
      As EhCache is a singleton there is a chance that the cache manager is not shutdown so the jar is still needed. You can also try to play with the lockjar settings from Tomcat or/and call GC() manually .
      antiJarLocking is already set to true in context.xml. But you reminded me that the jetspeed jars are in shared/lib, so if they hang on to something from a webapp classloader, with tomcat's reversed classloading delegation...

Thanks!

Comment

I would keep ehcache.jar in your application's WEB-INF/lib directory.

Try adding antiResourceLocking to your context.xml file:

Code:
        <Context antiJARLocking="true" antiResourceLocking="true" />

Comment

Open the ehcache.jar and copy the ehcache.xml from there into the root of your classpath (it's a config file for the cache - modify it if you like, but it's ok to keep the defaults).

Comment

Working...
          X