• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter and Worker Thread

Hi,

I am using:
    • Spring 2.5.5
    • Hibernate 3.3.0.ga

I have a web app where I am using OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter which works fine for http requests.

However I have a need for a background thread to do some processing.
    Processing in the worker thread is trigger by events in the http request threads (ie not scheduled).
    I start a single thread when the application starts (Thread.start)

However in this thread I am unable to access any data as I get:

org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - no Session

Is it possible to create a session in the worker thread and bind it so that the normal JPA annotations, will work correctly?

TIA

Try:
    Code:
            EntityManagerFactory entityManagerFactory = getEntityManagerFactory();
            EntityManager entityManager = entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();
            TransactionSynchronizationManager.bindResource(entityManagerFactory, new EntityManagerHolder(entityManager));

try {

// your functionality

} finally {
                EntityManagerHolder emHolder = (EntityManagerHolder)
                TransactionSynchronizationManager.unbindResource(entityManagerFactory);
                EntityManagerFactoryUtils.closeEntityManager(emHolder.getEntityManager());
            }

Comment

That worked,
      Thank you.

Comment

EntityManager instances are not threadsafe (because jdbc Connection instances are not threadsafe). It may appear that it works, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

The idea is to open EntityManager in one thread and not share it with other threads, the same as in OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter.

Code:
                  new Thread(new Runnable() {
                      public void run() {
                          EntityManagerFactory entityManagerFactory = getEntityManagerFactory();
                          EntityManager entityManager = entityManagerFactory.createEntityManager();
                          TransactionSynchronizationManager.bindResource(entityManagerFactory, new EntityManagerHolder(entityManager));

try {

// your functionality

} finally {
                              EntityManagerHolder emHolder = (EntityManagerHolder)
                              TransactionSynchronizationManager.unbindResource(entityManagerFactory);
                              EntityManagerFactoryUtils.closeEntityManager(emHolder.getEntityManager());
                          }
                      }
                  }).start();

Comment

Sorry, I missed the create part. Why not simply creating a new transaction in the thread then?

Comment

Yes, alternative solutions is to use transaction management.

Comment

Originally posted by dejanp View Post
                Sorry, I missed the create part. Why not simply creating a new transaction in the thread then?

I tried to do this, but it is necessary to bind the transaction to spring otherwise you get an error when you enter an @Transactional method (nested transaction).

Anyway with this solution you are free to start and finish transactions using the JPA notation.

Comment

Yes, but you can use TransactionTemplate for that instead of doing it manually.

Comment

Working...
                  X