Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race condition with transaction synchronization?

Hello,

I'm using Spring Framework 1.1.5 with Hibernate on WebLogic Server 6.1. I'm testing timeout scenarios, and I've run into an issue I need some help with. I'm slowly eliminating EJB's from my application, but I do have some legacy EJB code to deal with. In my scenario, my servlet is calling a SLSB, which in turn calls spring-managed transactional services. These transaction service join the CMT transaction created by the EJB container. I have:

Code:
    1) A servlet calls SLSB with CMT.
    2) The SLSB calls SessionFactoryUtils.getSession(sessionFactory, true)
    -- This binds the hibernate session to the current thread
    3) The SLSB calls a spring-managed transactional service
    -- This bean uses the bound session as expected
    4) The SLSB calls another spring-managed transactional service
    -- This bean uses the bound session as expected
    5) The SLSB exits
    -- The TransactionSynchronizationManager unbinds the bound session as expected
    So the non-timeout scenario functions as expected. Now I introduce a timeout (by causing blocking in by database) prior to (3). With the timeout scenario, I encounter one of two results:

Code:
    A) A spring HibernateJdbcException wrapping a weblogic TimedOutException as expected.
    B) An IllegalStateException Already value [org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionHolder@6f2304] for key [net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl@655ad0] bound to thread [ExecuteThread: '29' f
    or queue: 'default']
    Whether I get (A) or (B) is seemingly random. I've created a diagnostic version of SessionFactoryUtils to see what is happening in more detail.
    In scenario (B), it looks like WebLogic's transaction manager is grabbing another thread from the pool and is invoking spring's JtaSessionSynchronization.afterCompletion() which is resulting in doClose() being called. I've added a dumpStack() in doClose(), and here is what I see. The line numbers will be a little off because of my diagnostic code:

Code:
    java.lang.Exception: Stack trace
            at java.lang.Thread.dumpStack(Thread.java:992)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.doClose(SessionFactoryUtils.java:738)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.closeSessionOrRegisterDeferredClose(SessionFactoryUtils.java:726)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.access$300(SessionFactoryUtils.java:89)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils$SpringSessionSynchronization.beforeCompletion(SessionFactoryUtils.java:867)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils$JtaSessionSynchronization.afterCompletion(SessionFactoryUtils.java:978)
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerSCInfo.callAfterCompletions(ServerSCInfo.java:464)
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerTransactionImpl.callAfterCompletions(ServerTransactionImpl.java:2139)
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerTransactionImpl.setRolledBack(ServerTransactionImpl.java:2090)
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerTransactionImpl.globalRetryRollback(ServerTransactionImpl.java:2188)DEBUG 18:19:23,000 [ExecuteThread: '34' for queue: 'default'] [edemo_acme] (Transacti
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.ServerTransactionImpl.globalRollback(ServerTransactionImpl.java:2080)
            at weblogic.transaction.internal.TransactionImpl$1.execute(TransactionImpl.java:1617)
            at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:159)
            at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:140)
    Meanwhile, the original timeout thread, who is in the middle of calling getSession(), and hasn't yet encountered the weblogic TimedOutException,
    tries to bind the session holder to the thread, and fails:

Code:
    ERROR 18:19:23,046 [ExecuteThread: '34' for queue: 'default'] [edemo_acme] (TransactionAspectSupport.java:264) - Application exception overridden by rollback exception
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Already value [org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionHolder@747db9] for key [net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl@606e55] bound to thread [ExecuteThread: '34' f
    or queue: 'default']
            at org.springframework.transaction.support.TransactionSynchronizationManager.bindResource(TransactionSynchronizationManager.java:147)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.getSession(SessionFactoryUtils.java:346)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.getSession(SessionFactoryUtils.java:266)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.SessionFactoryUtils.getSession(SessionFactoryUtils.java:223)
            at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateInterceptor.invoke(HibernateInterceptor.java:149)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:144)
            at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:174)
            at $Proxy93.findContract(Unknown Source)
            at mycode.ContractServiceImpl.findContract(ContractServiceImpl.java:59)
    It's not clear to me who the culprit is here, not being that familiar with JTA and Spring. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
    Dave

I'm not familiar with Weblogic but have you read the javadocs from
    JtaTransactionManager: http://static.springframework.org/sp...onManager.html
    and weblogic-related transaction managers from the same package?

Comment

Hi costin,

Yes I have. Nothing jumps out at me as being the cause of this particular issue. I am using WebLogicJtaTransactionManager because of the transaction suspension issue described.

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

Try to also use the mailing list - you might get a more fast and clear response there.
        Btw, also search JIRA for any problems related to WebLogic (sometime ago I had a problem already reported on JIRA and the fix was already on the CVS).

Comment

Are you referring to the springframework-users mailing list? The home page says that it's been retired.

Dave

Comment

Both springframework-user and springframework-developer lists are active.
            See this SF.net page: http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=73357

Comment

We don't encourage use of the spring-user list. Spring-dev is very active (and probably best for this) but most of the Spring team hoped that the forums would replace spring-user.

Comment

OK. I'll post this on springframework-developer.

Thanks,
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X