Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HibernateTemplate + JdbcTemplate + HibernateTransactionMgr

Hi,
    I have a DAO based on HibernateDaoSupport and configured to use
    a HibernateTransactionMgr. The DAO does not have direct access to the datasource.
    Now, I would like to perform direct SQL commands in one of my HibernateCallbacks, and using the convenience provided by JdbcTemplate at the same time.
    Since I don't have a data source, I'm thinking of using the SingleConnectionDataSource to create the JdbcTemplate, like this:
    new JdbcTemplate(new SingleConnectionDataSource(session.connection()));

Should be working, but I'm wondering, is there a better way? I see from the documentation that SingleConnectionDataSource is meant primarily for testing...

Why not use a simple DataSource like Commons DBCP BasicDataSource? Then you get pooling, in any environment. You don't need JTA or an application server to have a pooling datasource...

Comment

Maybe I wans't clear... what I want to do is something like this:

Code:
      void myHibernateDaoMethod(...) {
        getHibernateTemplate().execute(new HibernateCallback() {
          public Object doInHibernate(Session s) throws HibernateException {
              // do something with the session
              JDBCTemplate template = new JDBCTemplate(???);
              template.xxx
              // do something with the session
          }
        });
      }
      That is, I want to mix in the same method call both Hibernate and JDBC (I'm aware it may be dangerous, but I won't change data in the database
      that has already been loaded by the hibernate sesssion).

The problem is just, JDBCTemplate wants a data source and doesn't seem happy to get just a connection, so I wanted to wrap the session's connection into a SingleConnectionDataSource.

I was just wondering if there is a cleaner way, it seems kind of an unforeseen use of SingleConnectionDataSource.

Comment

Ah, now I see the source of the misanderstanding. When I say I don't have a data source, I mean I don't have a direct reference to a DataSource object in my DAO since the DAOs are created by a HibernateTransactionProxy and receive just a connection factory (that won't let me get his data source).

Comment

Why not simply declaring JdbcTemplate as an instance in your DAO class and let Spring wire it up?

Comment

You mean, I create the JDBCTemplate as a bean in the configuration file and then pass it as a property of the DAO... it could work, yes, I just have to rework the configuration file. For the moment, I've configured the connection pool directly in the Hibernate session factory, I will have to move the data source out of it...

Comment

Working...
            X