X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring,hibernate, oracle 9i

I have a table for student that has shippingAddressId, billingaddressId, creditCardId.

I use studentForm bean by using struts and save student object by using hibernate into Oracle 9i.
    But I have this kind of error message. When i get this message, I rerun tomcat then it works. But sometimes I have same error..
    I dont know what is happening..

student Id is generated by sequence in oracle. On the mappingfile, I use Integer type. Actually, studentId is mapping as NUMBER in oracle.
    what should i do?

Data Access Failure
    (HibernateTemplate): data integrity violated by SQL ''; nested exception is java.sql.BatchUpdateException: ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column

You need to work out which column is getting the invalid value. You can most easily test that by a test outside the web container where it's quick to simulate such input. See the Testing (integration testing) chapter in the Spring Reference manual.

It's probably a number that has too many digits or a String that is too long. Check the reference on the Oracle types you're using in your DDL.

Or you could use a tool like Toad to investigate what happens when you manually run the SQL that Hibernate is generating (ask it to show SQL), with the same values.

Comment

Hibernate

Just a heads up, but you'll get the spew of the prepared statements that Hibernate is generating when it crunches up your mapping files - not straight SQL. You'll have to do a little editing before you dump it into Toad (or your SQL client o'choice)

Comment

If you use the odbc14_g.jar driver jar instead of odbc14.jar, you can put the following in your code around where the problem is occurring.,

oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleLog.startLogging();

// code that gets Oracle error

oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleLog.stopLogging();

This generates a mile of output but will actually give you an error message that is useful.

Comment

You need to work out which column is getting the invalid value.
          The BatchUpdateException has normally a more meaningful SQLException attached. You can retrieve this exception by calling batchUpdateException.getNextException(). The original batch exception can be get by springException.getCause().

I have altered the TestCase.runBare method for this. It really helps to quickly check whats going on.

Code:
          	public void runBare() throws Throwable {
          		try {
          			super.runBare();
          		}
          		catch(Throwable throwable) {
          			throw getMeaningfulException(throwable);
          		}
          	}

private Throwable getMeaningfulException(Throwable throwable) {
          		return throwable instanceof NestedRuntimeException ?
          				getMeaningfulException((NestedRuntimeException)throwable) : 
          				throwable;
          	}

private Throwable getMeaningfulException(NestedRuntimeException exception) {
          		Throwable nestedThrowable= exception.getCause();
          		if(nestedThrowable instanceof BatchUpdateException) 
          			throw new RuntimeException(
          					"BatchUpdateException: "+nestedThrowable.getMessage(),
          					getMeaningfulException((BatchUpdateException)nestedThrowable));
          		else
          			throw exception;
          	}

private Throwable getMeaningfulException(BatchUpdateException e) {
          		Throwable nestedException=e.getNextException();
          		return nestedException instanceof BatchUpdateException ?
          				getMeaningfulException(
          						(BatchUpdateException)nestedException) : nestedException;
          	}
          Feel free to use this snippet. Maybe the org.springframework.test classes can also profitate from this. It helps with MySql and PostgreSql but I am not sure if this is useful in conjunction with the Oracle drivers. Just give it a try.

Cheers,

Martin (Kersten)

Comment

Working...
          X