Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Session Handling

Hello!

I am using hibernate 3.x with annotations and spring with annotation based transactions. I have a command line application and want to have a session with a transaction for ever call of my application (session-per-request pattern).

After struggeling with HibernateTemplate (did open a session per database access) I read in some blogs and also in this forum that I should use plain hibernate with spring. So I changed to it and face different problems now, I receive this exception;

Code:
    No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here
    org.hibernate.HibernateException: No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here
    	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SpringSessionContext.currentSession(SpringSessionContext.java:63)
    	at org.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl.getCurrentSession(SessionFactoryImpl.java:544)
    My applicationContext.xml looks like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <beans ...>	
    	<!-- enable the configuration of transactional behavior based on annotations -->
    	<tx:annotation-driven/> 

<!-- DataSource -->
    	<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.SingleConnectionDataSource">
            <property name="driverClassName"><value>org.postgresql.Driver</value></property>
            <property name="url"><value>jdbc:postgresql:test</value></property>
            <property name="username"><value>postgres</value></property>
            <property name="password"><value>postgres</value></property>
            <property name="suppressClose"><value>true</value></property>
        </bean>

<!-- Hibernate SessionFactory -->
    	<bean id="sessionFactory" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.annotation.AnnotationSessionFactoryBean">
    		<property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource" />
    		<property name="configLocation" value="classpath:hibernate.cfg.xml" />
       </bean>

<!-- Transaktionsmanager -->
    	<bean id="transactionManager" class="org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTransactionManager">
    		<property name="sessionFactory" ref="sessionFactory" />
    	</bean>

<!-- DAOs -->
    	<bean id="genericDao" class="at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.persistence.hibernate.GenericDaoHibernateImpl" abstract="true">
    		<property name="sessionFactory" ref="sessionFactory" />
    	</bean >

<bean id="logImportDao" class="at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.persistence.hibernate.LogImportDaoHibernateImpl" parent="genericDao" />
    My hibernate.cfg.xml looks like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC
    		"-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD 3.0//EN"
    		... >
    <hibernate-configuration>
        <session-factory>
            <property name="hibernate.default_schema">public</property>
            <property name="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect</property>

<!-- for Batch-Inserts set the size to 100 entries -->
            <property name="hibernate.jdbc.batch_size">100</property>

<!-- Disable the second level cache. This is necessary for batch operations. -->
            <property name="cache.provider_class">org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider</property>

<!-- Echo all executed SQL to standard out -->
            <property name="show_sql">true</property>
            <property name="hibernate.format_sql">true</property> 

<!-- Mappings -->
            <mapping class="at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.businessobject.LogImport" />
    Then I have one class with transactional behaviour:
    Code:
    public class LogDirectory
    {
    	(at)Transactional
        public void parseFile(String dirPath, String dirEntry, LogParser parser)
        	throws FileNotFoundException, IOException, LogParserException
        {
    Please replace (at) with the at sign.

And I would expect that spring creates a session per default but there is no session. With the HibernateTemplate approach the template created a new session for every call. When I configured DAO with
    Code:
    	protected void initDao()
        {
            getHibernateTemplate().setAllowCreate(false);
        }
    I had the same behaviour like in the current solution. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance, Christian

Use a plain hibernate sessionfactory don't use the HibernateDaoSupport/HibernateTemplate. Use the sessionFactory.getCurrentSession method and make sure you have a proper transaction configuration, also you don't follow the best practice to program to interfaces. So enable class proxying on the tx:annotation-driven element.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.

- I don't use HibernateDaoSupport/HibernateTemplate
      - I have a interface for my GenericDAO and extended interfaces for all DAOs and a GenericDAO implementation
      - In the DAO implementations I am using sessionFactory.getCurrentSession

I wanted to implement DAOs based on plain Hibernate 3 API:
      hxxp://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/reference/orm.html#orm-hibernate-straight
      As stated here I wanted to inject the Spring SessionFactory with DI, is it possible to inject also a Hibernate SessionFactory? How can I avoid the HibernateUtils when not using the Spring Session Factory?

I wanted to use annotations for transaction configuration, see hxxp://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/reference/transaction.html#transaction-declarative-annotations
      I thought when using annotations I can spare AOP.

Does anyone know a full example on the web using Spring and native Hibernate?
      Thanks in advance, Christian
      Last edited by ChrLipp; Aug 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM.

Comment

I wanted to inject the Spring SessionFactory with DI, is it possible to inject also a Hibernate SessionFactory? I assume I have to use HibernateUtils instead.
        There is no Spring SessionFactory, there is a SessionFactoryBean and I suggest you readup on how FactoryBeans work.

@Transactional is as much of AOP as with the aop:config stuff, it is still implemented/being activated the same way.

Code:
        public class LogDirectory
        {
        	(at)Transactional
            {
        You state that you use interfaces there is no interface here, no interface means class proxying which isn't enabled in your case.

Comment

OK, I read about the SessionFactoryBean and implemented an interface for the object with the transatcional behaviour:

Code:
          public class LogDirectoryImpl implements LogDirectory
          {
          	@Override
          	@Transactional
              {
          I still receive the same exception:
          Code:
          [2008-08-05 10:27:17,750]DEBUG main - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.doGetSession(318) - Opening Hibernate Session
          [2008-08-05 10:27:17,781]DEBUG main - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.closeSession(774) - Closing Hibernate Session
          No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here
          org.hibernate.HibernateException: No Hibernate Session bound to thread, and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here
          	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SpringSessionContext.currentSession(SpringSessionContext.java:63)
          	at org.hibernate.impl.SessionFactoryImpl.getCurrentSession(SessionFactoryImpl.java:544)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.persistence.hibernate.GenericDaoHibernateImpl.find(GenericDaoHibernateImpl.java:89)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.isFileAlreadyImported(LogDirectoryImpl.java:156)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.parseFile(LogDirectoryImpl.java:131)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.parseDirectory(LogDirectoryImpl.java:105)
          	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
          	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
          	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
          	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
          	at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:310)
          	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:198)
          	at $Proxy20.parseDirectory(Unknown Source)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.readDirectory(LogEval.java:155)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.run(LogEval.java:125)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.main(LogEval.java:54)
          [2008-08-05 10:27:17,796] INFO main - at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.main(67) - End application
          The old exception stack (without using an interface) was:
          Code:
          [2008-08-05 10:34:19,671]DEBUG main - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.doGetSession(318) - Opening Hibernate Session
          [2008-08-05 10:34:19,703]DEBUG main - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.closeSession(774) - Closing Hibernate Session
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.persistence.hibernate.GenericDaoHibernateImpl.find(GenericDaoHibernateImpl.java:89)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.isFileAlreadyImported(LogDirectoryImpl.java:156)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.parseFile(LogDirectoryImpl.java:131)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl.parseDirectory(LogDirectoryImpl.java:105)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl$$FastClassByCGLIB$$3428d3bf.invoke(<generated>)
          	at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)
          	at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:628)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.data.logs.filesystem.LogDirectoryImpl$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$eedb076c.parseDirectory(<generated>)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.readDirectory(LogEval.java:156)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.run(LogEval.java:126)
          	at at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.main(LogEval.java:55)
          [2008-08-05 10:34:19,718] INFO main - at.gv.bmi.zmr_su.bf.LogEval.main(68) - End application
          So it definitly looks better, but still there is no currentSession.
          Christian

Comment

Your transactional method is being called internally, so no interception, no transaction. Your parseDirectory method should be transactional.

Comment

In the class org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryU tils in the function doGetSession Spring thinks that no Spring transaction management is active:

Code:
              		// Use same Session for further Hibernate actions within the transaction.
              		// Thread object will get removed by synchronization at transaction completion.
              		if (TransactionSynchronizationManager.isSynchronizationActive()) {
              			// We're within a Spring-managed transaction, possibly from JtaTransactionManager.
              		}
              		else {
              			// No Spring transaction management active -> try JTA transaction synchronization.
              			registerJtaSynchronization(session, sessionFactory, jdbcExceptionTranslator, sessionHolder);
              		}

// Check whether we are allowed to return the Session.
              		if (!allowCreate && !isSessionTransactional(session, sessionFactory)) {
              			closeSession(session);
              			throw new IllegalStateException("No Hibernate Session bound to thread, " +
              			    "and configuration does not allow creation of non-transactional one here");
              		}
              So the question is: what is wrong on my transaction configuration?
              Christian

Comment

Sorry, posted twice.

Yes now it works. Oringinally parseDirectory was transactional, but I removed it because I run out of memory. I have to solve this on another way.

Thanks very much for your help!
                Christian

Comment

If you want the parseFile method to be transactional I suggest a TransactionTemplate and wrap the call to the parseFile method in there. That way each file is in a seperate transaction. If you really want to have a transaction around the directory you will have to make the parseDirectory method transactional.

Comment

Working...
                  X