Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big DAO beans or a lot of small DAO beans?

Which one is better?

In our company practice, 1 DAO usually pointing to 1 table in database.

so if there is a lot different query / insert statement, so the DAO will become big

Comment

I think it depends what makes more sense. How big does your DAO actually get? I think the biggest one we have is 600 ish lines, not really that bad. As long as it's dealing with one job it should be ok.
      Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 27th, 2007, 04:08 PM.

Comment

hi, here i ask about the effect on performance, or else big or small is really

not important.

Comment

Originally posted by Rucent View Post
          Which one is better?
          What does good OO tell you

"Each thing should do one thing and one thing well" and "anything should be implemented in one place and one place only" leads me to believe that one DAO per logical entity (*not* DB table ) is the way to go.

Comment

leads me to believe that one DAO per logical entity (*not* DB table ) is the way to go.
            litle confuse

Hibernate entity class is a representation of a db table right???

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
              Not necessarily. That's what an O2R mapper is about.

Joerg

Comment

hello Jörg

thanks for the reply

That's what an O2R mapper is about.
                yes, if i dont bad remember Hibernate is a ORM tool

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dr_pompeii View Post
                  litle confuse

It is perfectly feasible to map a single java Class to multiple tables, and vica versa in Hibernate. One DAO per class would seem to be a sensible strategy. One DAO per table would be breaking the contract of what DAOs are all about. It would essentially be an implementation leak of your schema.

Comment

hello yatesco
                    One DAO per class would seem to be a sensible strategy.
                    i am confuse now

if this right?

a table db call ,mmm, Order , so it should has OrderDAO (CRUD operations) , and this OrderBO

i saw this approach in Pro Spring if i dont bad remember

now about of inheritance , class Person and 2 subclasses, Client and Worker ,
                    yes both classes are 1 table in the db (discrimantor in the hbm mapping)

but each class has a DAO and BO classes, it is right?

regards and thanks for advanced for the explanation

Comment

It is dangerous to talk about specifics too much because obviously every situation is different.

However, in general, if I have an Order class (regardless of how many tables there were) then yes, I would have an OrderDAO. If I have a Person (which is extended by Employer and Employee) then I would probably have a PersonDAO.

I wouldn't necessarily say the same thing about the service layer (or Business Objects). Creating a PersonService and OrderService may be the right thing to do, but then again it might not be needed.

It is worth taking a step back here: the BO/Service is responsible for implementing use cases, and therefore the methods should be use case orientated. The DAOs/Repositories OTOH are responsible for persisting/retrieving entities.

So yes, one DAO per entity hierarchy (i.e. PersonDAO *not* PersonDAO, EmployeeDAO) but maybe not one Service per entity.

Comment

thanks yatesco for the explanation

i appreciate the theory

regards

Comment

Working...
                        X