Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction to Spring DAO

Hi there,

I'm looking for some help getting started with Spring. Just to give you a little bit of background so you can know where I'm coming from. I'm on a co-op term currently doing some Java development. My previous application development with Java was when I took one year of computer science about 3 years back (switched to a different program now). Since then I've done development mostly in .NET 2.0 (see www.garagesaleaddict.com for my latest project). Basically I used the built in features of .NET for a lot of the functionality.

I have an ok understanding of OOP and have been reading up on Java for the last couple of days.

I've built a small java class that optimizes some data extraction for my employer, parses the data into a specific format and dumps it into a file.

He suggested I take a look at Spring and learn how to use it to benefit myself and the code. I've tried to look online for good introductions into how this framework is based but most of the stuff starts throwing other frameworks/terminology that's beyond the basics taught in class. Are there any introductory tutorials on how to get started with Spring that are aimed at people not familiar with many of the frameworks that are now available for Java and have mostly work with POJOs (if I understand the term correctly again heh)?

For my current task I need to basically connect to a database, extract the data, iterate through it and parse it, and dump the final result into a file. So all the optimization that comes from the SQL side with the Spring config files, how to store values and retries them later from those config files etc. All that kind of stuff?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

The Spring reference docs should be enough.

Look at Spring DAO architecture and the JDBC facilities.

Daniel

Comment

Chapter 11. should help, if you are using Java 1.5 this blog might also be useful.
      http://www.springframework.org/docs/reference/jdbc.html
      http://blog.interface21.com/main/200...20-and-java-5/
      Last edited by karldmoore; Aug 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X