X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stored Procedure and oracle.xdb.XMLType

Using Spring's support for stored procedures, how can I specify a parameter of type oracle.xdb.XMLType?

Currently, the constructor of my subclass of org.springframework.jdbc.object.StoredProcedure contains statements like the following to declare a parameter:

declareParameter(new SqlParameter({PARAM_NAME}, {PARAM_TYPE}));

The PARAM_TYPE argument is an integer constant from the class java.sql.TYPES. There is no value in java.sql.TYPES to represent XMLType.

Is there an alternate approach to declaring a stored procedure parameter, when the stored procedure is expecting XMLTYPE?

TIA,
    Ed

You can use the value from OracleTypes

Comment

Actually you should search in the forums for more details. According to this thread, there are some issues using XMLType.

Comment

Ed,

I'm currently looking at providing a Spring solution for the XML types. That's still in early stages so for now you will have to rely on Oracle specific extensions.

If you can provide a "plain" jdbc solution of how to pass in the XML to a stored proc, then I can probably show you how to do the same using current Spring features.

Comment

Thomas,

Thanks for your help. The attached class contains the method, saveDocument, which invokes a stored procedure with an XMLTYPE parameter. Here is the specific statement:

anOracleCallableStatement.setObject(11,new XMLType(oraConnection,documentDvo.getContent()));

Regards,
          Ed

Comment

I would try adding this declaration for the XML parameter:

Code:
            declareParameter(new SqlParameter("xml", Types.OTHER));
            and then add the following SqlTypeValue as the value in the inputMap:

Code:
            inputMap.put("xml",
                    new SqlTypeValue() {
                        public void setTypeValue(PreparedStatement cs, int colIndx, int sqlType, String typeName) throws SQLException {
                            ((OracleCallableStatement)cs).setObject(11, new XMLType(cs.getConnection(), documentDvo.getContent()));
                        }
                    });
            Not exactly pretty, but it might work. You might have to add a NativeJdbcExtractor depending on whether you are in a connection pool or not. Sometimes the cs.getConnection returns the native connection so it's not always necessary even when you do use a connection pool that wraps the CallableStatement.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try this and let you know the results.

Comment

Hi Thomas,

I implemented your suggestion, and it worked after I assigned the argument to my execute method, documentDvo, to a final temp variable within the method:

Code:
                 final DocumentDVO finalDocDvo = documentDvo;
                However, when I tested with a large xml document, approx. 6Mb, it threw the follow exception:
                Code:
                org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: CallableStatementCallback; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [{call spt_update(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)}]; SQL state [72000]; error code [20001]; ORA-20001: Error from ed.spt_update==>ORA-19011: Character string buffer too small
                ORA-06512: at "SYS.XMLTYPE", line 163
                ORA-06512: at "ETREMBIC.SPT_UPDATE", line 45
                ORA-19011: Character string buffer too small
                ORA-06512: at line 1
                I was testing locally with OracleXE 10g, so it may be an Oracle configuration issue. I'll look into that and post what I find.

Cheers,
                Ed

Comment

The cause of the exception was a test in the stored procedure of the XMLType argument. The argument is declared with a default value in the stored proc as follows:
                  Code:
                      p_claim_attribute_xml_in IN        CLAIM_ATTRIBUTE_CLAR.claim_attribute_xml%TYPE DEFAULT XMLTYPE('<Default></Default>'),
                  Setting the corresponding column in an update statement was as follows:
                  Code:
                  claim_attribute_xml = DECODE(p_claim_attribute_xml_in.getStringVal(),'<Default></Default>',claim_attribute_xml,p_claim_attribute_xml_in)
                  The getStringVal() method caused the exception, as it is limited to 4,000 characters. When I removed it, I was able to execute the stored procedure with a 6Mb xml argument. I'm checking with our DBAs for a work-around in the stored proc.

Comment

Working...
                  X